Out of State Police try to stop driver with gun

Deaf Smith

A Texas Deputy Constable, his wife, and a passenger was arrested for pulling over a driver they claimed appeared drunk, brandishing a pistol in the process. An off duty New Orleans police captian saw the incident and called uniformed police after he tried to get the constable to drop his weapon.

Now if they will arrest a police officer from another state that does this, just what do you think they will do to someone who is NOT a LEO? Just because one has a CCW does not empower oneself in the slightest. In any other state, you are a stranger in a strange land.

Deaf Smith

I can't condone the constable's actions. Certainly the proper response would have been to call 911 on a cell phone. I cannot imagine a drunk driver provoking a response like that.

Personnally I wouldn't have got myself into that situation in my own jurisdiction, much less out of state. I'd like some more details, sounds like a possible road rage incident and the constable was trying to "flash tin" to get himself out of a bad situation. Sadly not everone who is given a badge and gun by a governmental body is endowed with the common sense we would all like them to have.

Notice the off duty N.O. CPT called the uniformed officers. The exact response the Texas constable should have taken. Outside of the juridiction where he worked he is just another private citizen.

Jeff

Jeff has hit the nail on the head. Some of us forget that we are private citizens when out of our jurisdiction, for that matter, when my uniform comes off, I do my best to leave work at work. Off duty, an LEO makes the best witness, the cell phone the best weapon. This is a good lesson for those that think professional courtesy is everywhere, be careful. Think.

Hard Ball, sad part is, Deaf Smith died not a year or so after San Jacinto. So, I guess I am a ghost. To all you others, Deaf Smith was Sam Houstons chief scout. His party is the one who found Mrs. Dickensons group after they left the Alamo. And yes, he was hard of hearing.

Deaf

Back