Out-of-state laws...

gollbladder13

I live in WI, where we are not allowed to CC. Occasionally, I travel to IN to visit old friends. I know IL does now allow CC either, but if I want to carry in IN, do I need a permit for there even though WI does not have them? Or am I good to go? I guess for that matter, if I lived in IN and went to a different state that allows it, would I still need a separate CCW for while I'm in a different state? Thanks.

I'm also a Wisconsinite who lives on the MN/WI border I have a MN non resident carry permit I suspect IN has a non resident option also or recognizes UT or FL permits both of which are reasonably easy to get in WI. Supposedly the PPA is to be up for a vote again in the house this year. I started writing my congress critters again to reiterate my support for them is attached to their support of my RKBA.

For an Indiana License to Carry Handguns you have to reside or have a business in Indiana. Indiana, however, recognizes permits issued by any state or foreign countries.

IC 35-47-2-21
Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states

(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.

If you reside in Indiana, you need an Indiana license. If you reside elsewhere, any license will do.

Ok last part of the question...

Since WI does not do licensing, I assume then I would have to get a license from a different state, probably as a non-resident?

Thanks for everybody's help.

Here's a list of FAQ's about gun ownership and licensing in Indiana, found on the state police website:

http://www.in.gov/isp/files/firearms_FAQ_02_08.pdf

You do not need a permit to bring a gun there, if you keep it in the trunk or wherever you are staying. If you are simply bringing guns for recreational target shooting, and keep them stored (inaccessible) during travel, then you are good to go. You would only need a permit if you plan on carrying. Fortunately, Indiana recognizes carry permits from other states.

Indiana only issues permits to out of state residents that own a business here or have a full-time job here... I suggest either a Florida or Utah permit...

Back