Out of state Hunt

NHSHOOTER

Ok, Just about the end of NH season here, I shot a nice 4 point with muzzleloader opening day and here in NH you get just 1 gunpowder tag. You can get a anterless tag for the southeast corner of the state but it is quite populated with not much good hunting area.
I am looking for some suggestions for a out of state hunt for next season, I dont want to fly so I would like it to be about 1 days driving distance from NH, anywhere within 800 miles would do. I have been online looking at outfitters and prices, some are ridiculous and some seem real fair. I have been to NC and liked it but wouldnt mind trying someplace new..Thanks in advance for any input.

I hear Pennsylvania has some good hunting. A spring Canadian bear hunt is another possibility. Come to think of it from NH I think I'd be looking toward Quebec for deer too.

See'ins how NH is about 750mi. from Ohio, Ohio may be in your sights.

Word of Caution:

While there are some excellent outfitters here, there are very little, if any regulations on them. And I know more untrusting ones then good ones. Albeit, I'm no authority on the subject, there are about 30-40 that I know of(a few personally) within 50 miles of me and many are in it for the $ only and will pack as many clients into a small area as they can.

Almost anyone here can get themselves a web site, hang a shingle out and 'presto' I'm an outfitter'.

Can't stress this enough...
Be very careful and vet an outfitter if you're coming to Ohio.

Funny, I'm in Ohio and go further west to get away from the pressure. While bow season isn't too bad, gun season is another story...

Ohio has easy OTC tags and a fair amount if public land in some national forests and state parks.

Personally I wouldn't spend my money with an outfitter, but that's just my own opinion.

Funny, I'm in Ohio and go further west to get away from the pressure. While bow season isn't too bad, gun season is another story...

You're spot on Kimber84.

It's nuts around here during shotgun season and bp is getting just as bad.

I don't even waste my time in gun season and we have our own 300 acres to hunt... Everything is running for its life, just kinda turns me off.

Western states think they have bad gun pressure, but they have no idea what real gun hunting pressure looks like. Lol

Bowhunting is still ok, but man there are getting to be a lot of people in the woods. Leasing is getting out of hand too, I can't believe what people are paying per acre for hunting rights.

Oh well, it'll soon be a rich mans sport and we'll all be left with memories. Hope I'm long gone before that happens, but hunting mags, outfitters, and tv shows are whoring out the entire thing it seems.

Sorry to be Debbie downer, it just isn't what it used to be, at least to me.

Leasing is getting out of hand too, I can't believe what people are paying per acre for hunting rights.

This leasing is what is happening all over these parts with these 'fly-by-night' outfitters.

They will go to say a thirty acres tract of land, pay the owner say $1000 cash (or cheaper if they can) for exclusive hunting rights for the week of shotgun. Then bring in a couple clients at usually $2800-$3000 each a week,$2400-$2800 if ya pay cash, and put both clients on this 30 acre tract sitting over the hill from each other.

Hell, I know one seven acre tract that was leased for $200 that was surrounded by deep woods that a client paid $3000 for our late bp season to hunt on and the client was made to believe he had leased a big chunk of property. Client, naturally thinking the outfitter knew best, took the outfitters advise to sit where the outfitter told him as the outfitter assured the client that where he was posted up was the best spot. Just happened to be in the middle of the little 7 acre tract.

Word gets around in these parts on these guys and this particular client was(and still is) the brunt of more then a couple jokes around here.

These poor people coming in from outta state don't have a clue that in these parts, the tracts of land, as a rule, are very small and very heavily hunted. They just look on these so-called outfitters website that shows pics of hilly woods for miles and think they are going to hunt land that man has never stepped foot on. :rolleyes:

This particular 'crook' outfitter in the above story lives fairly close to me and does this every year.

Problem with the situation is, all the surrounding properties are usually heavily hunted as well by the owners of those tracts.

Another thing , these guys don't have very many repeat customer's and don't care. When the bad reviews on their website pile up and word gets out on them, which usually takes a couple years, they just crash the site and open another under a new name. Maybe using a relative, friend or workers credentials :D

I'm sure this happens in other states as well. But this trend has exploded around these parts in the last 5-7yrs. According to our counties game warden, ODNR gets flooded yearly with complaints but as of now, there is really nothing ODNR can do as there is no regs./licensing etc. on the books pertaining to outfitting/guiding here.

The reason for my comment about vetting a guide veerrry closely.

Sorry to be Debbie downer, it just isn't what it used to be, at least to me.

Sadly, I have to agree with you.

Last edited:
Western states think they have bad gun pressure, but they have no idea what real gun hunting pressure looks like. Lol

Bowhunting is still ok, but man there are getting to be a lot of people in the woods. Leasing is getting out of hand too, I can't believe what people are paying per acre for hunting rights.

Michigan state land is similar in gun season! A buddy and me hunted a Tiny tract of state land this year, parked all around we spotted at least 20 cars! I bet each hunter had maybe a few hundreds yards to him/herself. The couple of days I went we saw 4 deer taken all season.

Crazy really. I tend to start wandering around 10 AM or so, and on the first day I went (which was the second day of the firearm season) I couldn't walk more than a minute or two without seeing another hunter.

Needless to say: we won't be hunting that land again, were you have probably 25 other hunters competing for the same deer.

We will be going further north next year; but I can't afford a lease or anything though.

To the OP:
I had a friend who had a great time hunting black bear in Canada last year!

To the OP, if hunting pressure is what you're trying to get away from I'd look at the western states. Wyoming, Montana etc... There is more public land out there than you could ever imagine.

If you've got the dough for an outfitter then that's a viable option as well and realistically the only way you'll have good access to private ground east of the Mississippi. Unless your in to leasing and that's a whole other realm.

Deer out here have a good population and are pretty large, if you put in for some of the lottery state land hunts you can get out on boat accesible islands with very few other hunters (1-12).

ChasingWhitetail91 Since CT is just a few hours from here it may be a option, can you use rifles in CT or just shotguns and muzzleloaders?

All of the above on private land. If your going on state you can use a shotgun and they have bow areas too. I wouldn't be surprised if they have state land for bp only but i've never seen it as I don't use one.

To the OP

If I lived in your neck of the woods, I would be looking north to my wife's home state of Maine.

I have seen some reasonable outfitter prices from that area for Deer, Bear, and Moose if you could draw a tag for the Moose. I have also read there is a lot of corporate owned (I think paper companies) that is open for deer hunting.

Only reason I've never gone for the Bear is Maine is a long way from Missouri and I've heard horror stories about flying with guns.

I went out for deer in PA today, the third day of the gun season. I could not get out the first two days. I walked in to a state park at least 2 miles and did not see another hunter on the way in or out (Both walks in the daylight). I saw sign of deer feeding, but no deer. There are deer here in PA on state land, but they are educated. There is so much state land to hunt in PA it staggers the mind. People that give state land a bad rep are hunting tiny patches outside major cities. The really large chunks of state land are in the north, and you would be coming down that way anyway.

Back