Out of state carry in GA and TN and NC

FITASC

Going on vacation in that region and wanting some clarification about concealed carry with a FL license; particularly in stores/restaurants and tourist areas. Looking through Handgunlaw, I either missed it or misread it so:

Can I carry concealed into your basic restaurant that serves alcohol and if so, are there restrictions like no imbibing, no sitting in bar area?

Does that apply to stores like liquor stores, convenience stores, etc?

How about tourist things like scenic railroads. museums, etc?

lastly, what about carrying it loaded in the car but NOT on my person (I hate driving with it on and usually put it in the door map pocket)

Thanks in advance.

Yep. as I said in the op, went there and either missed what I was looking for or flat out misread what I did see.

According to handgunlaw.us, for SC, GA and TN the rule is as follows:

Carry in Restaurants That Serve Alcohol
YES (Unless Posted) 16-23-465

Note: A “YES” above means you can carry into places like described below. “NO” means you can’t.
Handgunlaw.us definition of “Restaurant Carry” is carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol. Places
like Friday’s or Red Lobster unless posted with “No Gun Signs.” This may or may not mean the bar
or the bar area of a restaurant. But you can carry your firearm into a restaurant that serves alcohol
and sit and eat without consuming. Handgunlaw.us recommends you not sit at the Bar or in the Bar
area of such restaurants. In some states it is illegal to be in the Bar area of such restaurants.
Handgunlaw.us believes you should never consume alcohol when carrying your firearm. In some
states it is illegal to take even one drink while carrying a firearm. If you want further info on carrying
in places that serve alcohol check your state laws.

SC adds the following statement to the above one:

(B)(1) This section does not apply to a person carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to and in compliance
with Article 4, Chapter 31, Title 23; however, the person shall not consume alcoholic liquor, beer, or wine
while carrying the concealable weapon on the business’ premises. A person who violates this item may be
charged with a violation of subsection (A).

I am a firm believer that alcohol and firearms don't mix, so I recommend never taking a drink while you are armed or if you plan to go armed any time later that day, regardless of what the law allows.

In some states it is illegal to be in the Bar area of such restaurants

Thanks, this is one are where I didn't find anything definitive; sometimes, if you don't want to wait an hour, the only available seating is at the bar or in the "bar area"; same for the tourist areas.

It is certainly a bit vague, which makes me prefer caution. I am used to the NE rules, which say "no guns" signs carry the weight of law and you can't carry in an establishment that gets more than half of its income from alcohol sales... how the heck am I supposed to know what their percentage of alcohol sales vs. food sales are? I tend to play it safe and just lock the gun up in the car when going into such places.

There's an app for iDevices and Android called CCW that claims to summarize reciprocity.

For NC, it reports:
14-269.3. Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to carry any gun, rifle, or pistol into any assembly where a fee has been charged for admission thereto, or into any establishment in which alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed. Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
(b) This section shall not apply to any of the following:
(5) A person carrying a handgun if the person has a valid concealed handgun permit issued in accordance with Article 54B of this Chapter, has a concealed handgun permit considered valid under G.S. 14-415.24, or is exempt from obtaining a permit pursuant to G.S. 14-415.25. This subdivision shall not be construed to permit a person to carry a handgun on any premises where the person in legal possession or control of the premises has posted a conspicuous notice prohibiting the carrying of a concealed handgun on the premises in accordance with G.S. 14-415.11(c).

Also be aware that for concealed carry the legal alcohol limit is NONE - not even a sip. (0.00).

So far as Tennessee is concerned:

Carry permitted in restaurants and bars. However, permit holder is not permitted to drink while armed. No provision for "bar areas."

Carry in public parks, City, State, and National permitted. Exception if a school function is in progress. (This a new provision)

Carry in Auto permitted.

Certain zones are designated "No guns Zone." This such as Beale Stree in Memphis, in which alcoholic beverages may be carried and consumed on the street.

Noted: The new BassPro at the Pyramid in Memphis restricts guns only at the bar.

All schools, including college campus, are off limits. Most hospitals are posted also.

With permits, open carry is allowed. However, discretion is advised.

Hope this helps.

Bob Wright

(I hate driving with it on and usually put it in the door map pocket)

Not legal in GA. With, or without a permit a handgun inside a vehicle has to either be in plain sight, or stored so it is not readily accessible. You can have it on your person with a permit. A door map pocket or under the seat is not OK. Inside a glove compartment or center console is OK. As would if it were in plain sight. The key is that during any interaction with LE they can either see the gun, or easily see you open a compartment to get it.

Restaurants, state parks, are all OK, but not if drinking. I see very few places posted. OC is legal, but I'd not recommend it.

If in SMNP you can legally carry in the park, but not inside any federally owned building.

Not legal in GA. With, or without a permit a handgun inside a vehicle has to either be in plain sight, or stored so it is not readily accessible.
That requirement went away several years ago. See HB 308. You can store a firearm however you like in a vehicle.

It's a cryin' shame that a legal gun owner with a good CCW practically needs to travel with a lawyer to drive cross country without loosing your rights and or freedom.:(

the answers to each question are found here: www.handgunlaw.us it would behoove you to read carefully. this is the most current/up to date compilation of ccw information on the net. if you don't like what you read, simply go to the state's official codes which are given in the text.

As a matter of interest, I have found, when traveling on the Interstates, the best policy is to stop at the welcome center when entering a different state. Simply tell the folks there that you have a valid handgun permit from your state of residence, and ask them what the rules are for their state.

If they don't know, they will contact their state department of safety for answers to your questions. Some will even give you a print-out if you ask.

Further, if you belong to AAA, their offices will assist you.

Bob Wright

Back