Out Of Curiosity...

Single Six

I don't have any full-autos, but I do have a question, and this looks like the forum for it: If you were in the middle of a full-auto burst and suddenly got a squib load...would it be the mess that I imagine it would? Seems to me that it would happen before the shooter even realized it if he was on full auto, and the next rounds down the barrel would spell disaster. Right or wrong, and has anyone ever experienced this? Thanks, all.

Typically a squib won't cycle the action, so it doesn't do much besides stop firing.

If you try to chamber another round and fire, then auto or semi-auto, you may get a nasty surprise unless the bullet didn't travel very far down the barrel and stops the next round from chambering as well.

When a squib occurs in an auto it generally won't cycle. Not to say this is always true. I wonder if it ever happens when people have mini guns. :eek:

I've only experienced one squib load that I can recall. It was in a Glock 17. The primer didn't have enough power to move the bullet down the barrel - it wouldn't chamber another round.

m11semiexplosion.png

This what happens when you get a squib. While agree with Dave about ammo, this one was caused by Winchester White box from Walmart.

I have found that some Open bolt sub guns will cycle after a squib enough to load a 2nd round, its the round after the squib that causes problems....

if there is enough power to cycle the action, there is generally enough to push the bullet out.

otherwise, if you have to manually cycle the action and you get an empty case come out when you do, i suggest you look through the action down the barrel to make sure you can see light. i have never had a squib load, but i still always check because of fear of situations like MrM4's above.

What if I have a stove pipe or something where it partially cycles. Could that indicate a squib. My 1911 james up every now and then.

Most likely your 1911 shooter does not have a tight grip on the weapon. If you are going to shoot weak ammo like Remingtion UMC then you might consider putting in a reduced power recoil spring. Remember to put a full power spring back in when you load up with proper combat defense loads.

You can order Wolf progressive spring pack from a place like Brownells and taylor your spring to the load you are shooting.

Back