Our Revolvers........

Don Mallard

Hello to all and Mike!!!!
I have been soaking up the quality post here for some months.
After 30 years I have retired from a job which revolved around many LE weapons.
There are many top shelf members here.
I am a new member and this is the best site I have seen.
WE have a common bond...............ALL of you in the REVOLVER section of this board 'love' and 'revere' the strong, durable, powerful, accurate, digest any ammo without worrying about the 'ammo' hanging up or other problems.....Revolver!
I don't flame concerning semi-autos.
I am DPS qualified with them too but the Revolver has my heart!
So from me to all of you guys--Hello!!!!!!!
I am entering here to learn from you. I hope I have 30 more years to soak up 'INPUT' so feed me and I will you!

Respectfully, Don Mallard

I retired just as we were transitioning to semi autos.

I`ve owned 1911`s for years and even carried one as a backup when I worked in Brooklyn. Not authorized but even the Lt. had one behind the desk. It`s amazing the calming effect a full size Colt had on the mutts.:D Now I shoot/carry/collect Browning H.P.s. I`ve also started collecting *&* revolvers. A nice Python can turn my head too.:cool:

Whew!!!!!!

Those Pythons are a dang work of art!
I mean they are just a modern example of craftmanship which is near perfect. I think in Utilitarian terms concerning weapons.
The 4" Pythons seem nearly perfectly balanced to shoot. I had a 6" years ago and could kick myself for trading it on some other thing. This gun thing is a addiction. I really don't think we can control all this buying of guns and equipment to compliment them---oh well might as well enjoy our gun freedoms!
Don Mallard

Greetings Don. I have always been attracted to wheelguns. Even when a gvt 1911 was part of my dress, I carried a M&P backup, switching to 36 Chief's Special for backup when they became available.

Many carried wheels as primary and later transitioned to autoloaders. My experience was the other way around. I have owned and enjoyed the products of a dozen handgun manufacturers, lord only knows how many models, and tho most autoloaders perform well for me........I enjoy my wheels to the extent that they are now the only handguns in the house.

Sam.....14 yr old trapped in an ol fart's body.

Don,

Welcome to TFL. I too am retired from a LE career. I spent the last six years as the Chief Firearms Instructor for my 400 man (person) department.

Our department was one of the early converts (1974) to authorize semiautomatics. Authorized weapons were either 4" DA 357 Magnum revolvers or 45 ACP semiautomatics. Department split was 60/40 in favor of the semiautos. I was once asked if we shouldn't go completely to the semiauto. I told the Chief Deputy that I would rather have a good man backing me with a revolver than a (insert derogatory term of choice) with a semiauto.

I carried 1911s for 26 years but a few years back switched to the Glock. All that being said, my most recent purchase was a 3" M24 with a round butt - one of those Lou Horton Specials.

By Golly!!

C.R.Sam
I just have to be your shadow. The guns have just been a big ol'chunk of my life......I got to know----after we have gone thru just about all the handguns--------hey Sam which ones have you settled down be the favorites. Please allow me to say that I have landed with my favorites------6" N frame 357 with Mr. Walter Birdsongs Black -T teflon finish.
--------a K frame 6" .22
------- a Speed six-357
------- a 1958 SBH 44

a---- a 1951 High Standard .22

Great!!!!!!

Dave T !!!!!
Great to meet you. I have really stuck to just a very, very few handguns. Like most handgunners I have obtianed 1911's-- Browning High Powers--so on.
If I had held on to all those beauties-----oh well
Anyway I have honestly worked 30 years shooting.
I am very lucky in that I take a Utilitarian mental approach.
You understand that all Tactical Units in all LE Depts have many variations in the weapons department. If they have you on the line with a MP5 or a Springfield 45 acp then you have to adjust to them and not become judgemental with their selections.
When you are in your 20's -30's you think how neat it is to train with them but later in life you realize they looked at members as just operators of their equipment -----I think you understand my drift.............anyway sorry bout the rant.

You mentioned the Glock
I haven't shot one yet but I am now free to roam and check out the new hanguns that I haven't 'done' yet. Tell me what the Glock is like.
Don Mallard

Favorites.....hmmm. Being a fickle ol fart, the favorites change. But now I would say....

Looks.....4" .32 hand ejector I frame and 6" 19. Mother n daughter.

Pocket n trubble repellant....3" 36 n 2½ RB 19.

Bad trubble repellant......4" 29.

Old bread winners....6" short lug K-22 n 6" K-38.

Dud....1957 Colt Gold Cup National Match...went back to issue with slight mods.

Have had horrible experiences with S&W stainless L frames.

On Christmas list......4" 586 and 3" 29. Any M frame.

So many semis that were totally functional but lacking in character.

Sam....everything is somewhere, just not where I'm lookin.

Hello Don My Friend,

Welcome aboard; glad you joined us here as a member of the TFL family. I'm sure we all can
learn something from your expertise in the firearms field; and maybe we can contribute
a small bit that will be as equally important?

I am an ex-LEO myself and have been involved with
firearms for quite a number of years. When our department make the switch to semi-auto's, I jumped on the Sig-Sauer bandwagon; and have been
there ever since. After one developes the control
to master the switch from a double-action first
shot to the single action follow ups, they should
be able to shoot any kind'a handgun that comes
along? Yes, I'm a revolver nut too; having grown
up on a Smith N' Wesson model 57 .41 magnum; but
I've owned, shot, and reloaded for a bunch of other's. Also, some of my favorite semi's include:
the BHP, Glock's of all models, H&K USP's, as well
as the Beretta 92 Series. I don't care much for the .40 caliber S&W weapons; prefering the .45 instead. The .357 magnum lauched from a S&W model
27 and/or model 28 has long since been a favorite.
I carried a model 19 and/or 66 for years; but recently moved to the L-frame 686, six-shot, w/a
6" barrel. I have fond memories of the past that
include owning several Colt Python's. I believe
these Colt's to be more fragile, than the L-framed
and N-framed Smith's. At any rate, again welcome
and I hope you enjoy your stay.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

By Golly!!

Ala Dan!
And my hat off to you sir! Man alive at the wealth of valuable knowledge on this site! The members are either mature men or young shooters who are craving for knowledge.
The Administrators of this chain of 'sport' oriented websites are professionals and are assiduous.
This is a true professional site.
My knowledge is mearly a burning passion and a 'must-have' more input facility.
I want to know new facts to me. They may be old hat with someone else but new to me.
This firearms sport training and target shooting is addictive.
I honestly thought three dacades ago that I would get to the bottom 'OF IT ALL'---never happen.
I met some of the handgun greats years ago and now they are gone. We put our quarter in this ride called life and around we go for a quick spin and then it is over.
Your words are very kind indeed.
I have a very solid feling that this site will yield some real educational results as we share our experiences.

............the beat goes on

Don Mallard---no spell checker

Well, Don, I don't know about "love...."

For me, it goes a LOT deeper than that. :)

First gun I ever bought was a semi-auto.

First gun I ever carried regularly was a revolver.

I have roughly an equal number of both.

Semi-automatics are just guns to me.

Revolvers, especially my older Smith & Wesson revolvers, are a lot more. I can't exactly explain it, but I've got no problem selling off one of my semi-autos. I can't do that with any of my revolvers.

Don - you're in good company.

At the range yesterday I was speaking with a 1 year veteran of law enforcement. She was practicing with her Glock and doing reasonably well. What surprised me is her confession that she preferred revolvers over semi-autos. She must have had prior experience with firearms and she gets envious of the older deputies who sports revolvers and speedloader pouches on their belt.

That's a damn shame, really

...she gets envious of the older deputies who sports revolvers and speedloader pouches...
She is prevented from carrying what she obviously likes better.:rolleyes: It stands to reason that her confidence level, and probably her scores would be better with it also.

Don,

You asked me about the Glock pistol and that's a loaded question if ever there was one. Glocks seem to instill great loyalty or great hatred or great indifference.

I have an expression I use to sometimes explain why I carry these things now. I tell people "I have been Glocked." My definition of that is: I've been drug kicking and screaming into the 21st Century, whether I wanted to go there or not.

I loved my 1911s. I have had a long time affinity for N-Framed S&Ws. I think the 1st Generation SAA Colt is the most beautiful handgun ever.

I don't like Glocks but I respect them. I respect the simple, intelligent design. I respect their reliability, their duribility and the ease with which they can be repaired or modified. To me Glocks are tools. Very effective, reliable self-defense tools. If one of my carry Glocks were to be stolen I would be mad because some dirt bag thief had it. I wouldn't miss that particular gun and would go out and buy another one just like it. They have no personality - they're just tools.

dave

Dave it amazes me how I am you and you are me in the relationshp with firerarms. They are most -exactly- a tool!
That is what they are. You train with one until you are a fairly good master of it. You know exactly what to expect it's ablity is in any given situation then you operate it to perform it's end result output.
They need to be fully abused only by firing them to determine their limits of operation.
I knew a very old Judge -RIP- who had a real old Colt SSA
It had a tiny wide trigger and just took over your imagination to fire it.
I have read the offical shootout LE trasnscript of the OK Corral shootout
A Texas DPS TRooper passed it around at a shoot match.
At one point-- one of the lawmen or his brother(whatever) got hit in the thigh by one of the gang members shots.
The shot put him down but he was picked back up and was held up and they both fired at the same outlaw with their wonderful, magic, Colt 45's.
The original ones smoked a good bit.
I can just see them firing and the smoke and as the shots from the two lawmen started to hit the one who had made the thigh shot it is fact that the outlaw went down and was screaming "Your're Murdering me" They both took careful aim and hit him with two shots at about the same time. At that point the shooting was about over. The witnesses told of the sound the 45 round nose 255 grn lead bullets made as they hit the outlaw and killed him.
Oh Boy what a life!
Those Colts hanging in a leather straight drop holster.
Let's figure a way to go back in time and see if we could survive.
By Golly I can't complain. My life has been filled with plenty of action and I am just lucky to be alive. All that stuff has got little to do with how bad you are it comes down to it not being your time to go. It is horrific and you come back to test fate again. It is just a flirt with death. I was a young fool to even do it. I got lucky enough to get 'old' and now I am weaker and wiser. I don't ever want to do the dangerous things anymore. I think you understand.
Don Mallard

Don,

From 1985 to 1994 I was seriously involved in the then new sport of Cowboy Action Shooting. I took a slightly different tack than most of the competitiors in that I was a student of Western American history. I shot original 19th Century guns with cartriges loaded with black powder and cast bullets. I researched those old cartridges and duplicated the original performance. Let me tell you, those old guns and cartridges were surprisingly effective, particularly the 45 Colt. There was a reason it was known as "the Peacemaker".

The original (1873 vintage) load was 40g of FFg black powder, compressed in a balloon head case behind a 255g RNFP bullet of 1-20 tin to lead. In the 7.5" barrel of the SAA this produced 910 fps. This original black powder load was the most powerful commercial handgun loading until the introduction of the 357 Magnum in 1935.

I duplicated this performance in modern, solid head brass with 37g of FFFg and the same bullet of the same alloy. This is a heavly compressed load and requires a good roll crimp. Magnum large pistol primers help get the FFFg cooking.

Shooting this load in a SAA is an experience in itself. Although nothing like a modern day Magnum, the recoil is noticable. The blast and smoke is substantial. On a still day (no breeze) the target will be obscured before you finish the five rounds in a cylinder.

The experience of researching, developing and shooting duplicates of these old black powder cartridges was not only fun but educational. If you are ever presented with the opportunity to try the black powder 45 Colt don't pass it up.

And I look at .45 Colt from an even different angle.

I love all pistols that are at least .451" in diameter. But I have fell in love with a Blackhawk convertible .45...

I really love shooting BIG bullets out of the Blackhawk. A 300+ gr. bullet over a healthy dose of H110 or W296 is some serious medicine.

A friend and I routinely shoot at this rock that is across a canyon here in NM beautiful desert, that ranges at 255 yards. I usually hit the rock on the 2nd or 3rd shot with these heavies. It is such a kick (pun not intended) to hear those big slugs screaming across that canyon... They almost sound like .308...

The other love of this gun is the other ACP cylinder. This is the greatest .45 Super platform known to man. The meanest .45 Super is tamed in this gun. And the idea of a 230 gr FMJ moving at 1200 FPS accurately...

Someone else originally came up with this but I like it:

1998 Ruger Blackhawk Convertible
Low mileage, only used weekends.
Two six cylinders, mucho HP

YMMV,

She is prevented from carrying what she obviously likes better. It stands to reason that her confidence level, and probably her scores would be better with it also.

I agree with you on this one. A person will shoot better if they are carring what they want so long as its a quality handgun in at least 38 or 9mm. I don't buyi into the one sidearm for everybody arguement. I know that supposedly you can share ammo if all your guns are the same but if someone runs dry do you think I will give him what I have. No way.
PAT

Back