Otis cleaning kit--anyone use?

Dave R

I've been attracted to those Otis cleaning kits that come in a small round pouch. Looks like a CD case. The cleaning rod is flexible, and rolls up. Anyone use one? Like it?

It works pretty darn well. I bought the universal kit and it comes in handy when I need to clean up someone else's gun.

I have two complains. Since the whole thing is based on the flexible cable, you can't push it through anything. I have a .22 revolver whose cylinder is too short for the brush to fit into and still be able to pull it through the bore so I have to use a rod for that gun.

Once, while cleaning a rifle, the patch got stuck about 1" into the bore. The easy thing to do would be to push it back out, but I couldn't do that with the cable so I had to pull the patch through with considerable force. I think my hand is still dented from the cable.

Does it work? Yes, but keep a couple of rods around anyway.

I've tried to use one on my M1A, but the patch is impossible to pull through from the chamber. Obviously, (or presumably) I'm folding the patch incorrectly. What's the secret to a snug (but passable) fit?

SA Scott

Sounds like the solvent they use is just CLP, right? So I can replace/refill their small bottle with CLP as needed?

The further away you pull the patch through the hole, the thicker the patch gets. The manual talks about this somehwere in there. I use my Otis kit almost exclusively on my .308 with no trouble.

The cleaner does seem suspisciously similar to BreakFree CLP. I wouldn't hesitate to refill the little bottle with that or Hoppes.

>>>>>The cleaner does seem suspisciously similar to BreakFree CLP.

I think it is likely CLP. IIRC, the version I have was expressly labled as such.

patent

I've got the Ar15/M16 version (small floppy pouch that fits in the buttstock, basically replaces the USGI kit) and I like it. The only complaint I have is that dumb little brass crossrod will bend if you try to stand on it and pull upward (if you get a patch REALLY stuck in the barrel). Other than that, I havent had any problems, but my AR also has never had extraction problems, so I havent needed the pushing ability of a solid rod.

Kharn

Back