Other than the trigger and the hammer...

Kentucky Rifle

..I don't know what is made from MIM parts inside my late model J frame. I don't relish the idea of any type of file work on any of the "internals". However, I have to do something about the heavy trigger pull. Can someone please tell me exactly what comes in the Wolff kit? Is it just a spring? (Or maybe more than one spring?) A few pounds less trgger pull would mean a lot. Also, does anyone know a reputable gun smith in the Louisville, Ky. area who I can trust to get it right the first time? (No offense intended.)

Thanks,
KR

I've done the trigger jobs on my models 10, 66, and 686. I am not dead sure if your gun is the same as you did not give the model number.

As for MIM, I believe it is the hammer and trigger and possibly the cylinder stop plunger (below the cylinder). I know the rebound slide is not MIM, and I believe the "hand" is not either.

The Wolff kit should come with a reduced power hammer spring and rebound slide spring which are the prime determiners on trigger pull weight. Any roughness to the pull can be smoothed out by fine polishing, but (as you may know) the trigger and hammer are surface hardened and should not be cut on much. I would avoid doing any stoning or cutting AT ALL on the trigger and sear faces. That is the fastest way I know of to ruin a gun.

I don't know any smith to recommend, but you might want to check with SW. The last time I heard they quoted a pretty reasonable price for a trigger job.

I will say this (here come the flames) SW guns are by far the easiest of all wheels to work on. If you get a good manual (like Kuhnhausens) and the correct tools, I believe most people would be able to change a hammer and rebound slide spring (read the manual first). Brownells has all of the above. The only smoothing most SW's need is some persistent dry firing. Add the new springs (and good lube like Tetra grease to the internals) and your gun will have a very good pull. If you still want a trigger job after that, spend the money.

Suggest you buy or borrow Jerry Kunhausen's book on Smiths. Read it a couple of times before buying anything or workin on it.

They are simple, and that is both good and bad.
...Good in that it doesn't cost a fortune to get em where they should have been when they left the plant.
...Bad in that many plunge in and screw em up even worse.

Sam

Back