Original signature on C&R license

Joe W

I have been told that it no longer is a requirement that a copy of a C&R license contain an "original" signature and that the signature may also be photocopied.
Is this correct ?? :confused:

I doubt it. I just got mine a few months ago and was specifically told
to not sign the original but to make numerous copies and sign those, not
the original. I don't think the BATF would change that. I would question your source.

Original Signature on C&R Lic.

I was told that by an FFL dealer. I do know that many FFL dealers will accept a FAX copy of a FFL and of course this FAX would not have a original signature. Guess I will have to call FFL Licensing Center to find out for sure.

01FFL (dealer) can be verified at BATF Easycheck online system but not 03FFL (C&R). That maybe why people will accept faxed or photocopied FFL and verify online but not C&R. I would only accept an ink signed C&R.

It def says to not sin the original, and it may be that you are supposed to mail copy you sign, but i think that all predates faxing the FFL and it is kind of a pointless regulation now. Just b/c it is pointless does not mean a bureaucrat is going to tell you to ignore it or that the rule book will change. Maybe you aren't allowed to fax 03s technically. I think I have only faxed them to set up accounts for distributors so I could see their pricing, so IDK.

I have faxed signed copies to both SOG and Classic Arms, and have bought from both using the faxed copy on file. So faxing a copy must be okay, if only in an implicit sense.

I am not admitting to any technical felonies whether or not I may have committed them(such as faxing 03 FFLs to purchase a gun to the above mentioned dealers and others). If they don't have an original FFL on files it is b/c they made a copy and lost the original. My story, and I am sticking to it.

My original is definitely unsigned, but I do have a signed copy around here somewhere for when I fax the copy to set up the distributor accounts...

Original Signature no longer needed

Just to be sure I called the regional office of the ATF yesterday. I was told that it is no longer required that the copy of any FFL contain an original signature. I was told that FAX copies and email attachments were also acceptable.

Back