Original K98k

DoctorXring

This rifle passed the hard-nosed "Jury of T-urd Busters" over
at Gunboards.com as being an original, not messed with K98k.

My one and only original German K98k. No import marks.

98K-12.jpg

98K-3.jpg

98K-14.jpg

98K-4.jpg

98K-9.jpg

98K-7.jpg

Last edited:
I have owned several vet bringbacks like that. One had the stock cut under the band. IT was not very well rejoined. I fixed that with some epoxy. It will actually stick to stocks that have not been soaked in oil or grease for 50 years. Sorta wish I had not sold the last one, the value has pretty much gone way up on all correct ones. Especially with nice finish and bores. Good deal, there. Now you need to bag a sling for it. And a bayonet. I was lucky in that mine had good slings attached.

wowsa, sweet. :) I wonder what the rarity factor is. I know the one I just picked up is an RC, and has a few different serial numbers on it... mine's nice, but not THAT nice! ;)

Its not so much that they're "rare" as one look on any of the auction sites will attest. Anybody can have a matching, all original K98 if they really want one without too much trouble. Its just the pedigre of what a K98 is... WWII Mauser used by Nazis=Desirable=MONEY!!!! :p

Actually, the influx of RC K98s is one of the factors that drove the price up on matching originals and vet bringbacks. 10 years ago you could've bought a vet bring back for around $400-$500...give or take.

Its not so much that they're "rare" as one look on any of the auction sites will attest. Anybody can have a matching, all original K98 if they really want one without too much trouble. Its just the pedigre of what a K98 is... WWII Mauser used by Nazis=Desirable=MONEY!!!!
Actually, the influx of RC K98s is one of the factors that drove the price up on matching originals and vet bringbacks. 10 years ago you could've bought a vet bring back for around $400-$500...give or tak

do you know of any reputable on-line auction sites re these type of guns? if the one in this thread were available, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. be psyched to find something similar to it.

TIA.

DocXRing, I revisited this thread to compare your pix to mine. fisrt off, you are a much better photographer in this regard than I am! :D second, I notice the wood color is very similar.

what do you suppose the difference is, between the serials that are in a white-looking finish there (as is yours), and the ones that are not (like mine)?? is that something someone who refinished it did? was it issued like that?

Just curious... :)

V, I suggest you never bid on any "matching" K98k without checking with one of the dedicated Mauser sites.
G/K43 is more a K98k site and you can actually post a link to any ongoing auction at that forum and ask for someone to check it out.
There is a K98 dou44 on GB now with a buy it now of $800.00. that was called humped at G/K43. If you look at the bolt numbers you can see the fonts are wrong and when you get the seller's link to photobucket you will see the fonts are again different on the upper band then it has a milled FP that is numbered but not proofed (in 44 it may not be either in some cases but it it is one it is proofed)
The gunboards site does not allow posting a link to an ongoing auction but is a good site to check for humped rifles and their green lite is (as is G/K43) a worthy recommendation, IMO
The :barf: dou44 is GB # 123128113 .
I did not want to post a link in case that is not allowed here but copy the number and you can check it out

Wulfmann

thanks for the info. I PM'd you some info. if you can let me know what you think, that's great. those G43 forums do look pretty informative (I have seen you over there, but I have not registered yet).

thanks again.

EDIT: I checked out that auction you referred to in your post. it does look hinky, but, even more so, that seller has such a little amount of history and references there, buying anything from him would be risky IMO. the guy I got mine from was recommended to me by someone here, and, he had over 900 A+ positive reviews.

Last edited:
The gunboards site does not allow posting a link to an ongoing auction but is a good site to check for humped rifles and their green lite is (as is G/K43) a worthy recommendation, IMO

Errr...not exactly. You can't post a link to an ongoing auction. However, you can copy and paste the photos shown in the ongoing auction and then gather opinions that way.

what do you suppose the difference is, between the serials that are in a white-looking finish there (as is yours), and the ones that are not (like mine)?? is that something someone who refinished it did? was it issued like that?

Thats often done by the owner when taking photos in order to highlight the markings. You can use a crayon, cornstarch, etc. They were never manufactured like that.

Back