Oregon Gun Builder's Fair (May 3-5)

The Oregon Gun Builder's Fair will be held in Corvalis, Oregon beginning the evening of May 3 and ending on Sunday at 3 p.m. I'll be there. Anyone else?

Will also be going to Bowling Green KY on May 29 for the NMLRA Gun Building classes. Taking relief carving with Wallace Gustler.

Wallace is one of the best.

He can make an entire gun from scratch. He even makes the tools he uses to make the guns.

Great little fair. Attendance was under 40 and we had about 8 or so instructors/demonstrators. A lot of people whose skills I hope someday to emulate brought out their guns and they can compete with some of the "masters" back on the East Coast. A few are capable of forging their own barrels and locks too. I'm happy to be able to card a barrel yet alone trying to wield a blacksmith's hammer.

Ron Scott did a great job putting this fair together and he had some great support. Bob Evans demostrated how to refresh or sharpen casted engravings. Mike Keller showed us how to inlet a jaeger buttplate (much harder than a longrifle or mountain rifle buttplate). David Blaisdell explained placement of a trigger for a crisp pull and then demonstrated it on a jaeger. He then inletted the trigger guard using chisels and a special inletting plane (gotta have one). Dave also had a special tool made by Mark (?) for scraping the configuration of the stock's forearm. It's much more clever than the one Wallace made and best of all, by changing the blade and the guide, you can use it for different styles of rifles.

In short, learned a lot, spent a lot ($160 on books alone) but the fair was inexpensive and I met a lot of great people. Ron charged only $30 and a lot of it went to coffee & muffins in the morning, payment for lunch and a dinner (hamburgers, sausage, chips, potato salad, beverage) and of course, a porta-potty. The other expenses I incured was for motel rental (you could have brought a sleeping bag and a folding cot if you wanted) and gasoline.

Accoutrement class?

Did the fair include a accoutrement area like Dixon's Gun Fair.
If So, who were some of those people?
What was their work like?

No accoutrements discussed though you could pop open a patchbox and find worms, stuck ball removers, & jags. One fellow did have some hand forged knives for sale. No clothing, hunting pouches. Some raw horns (scraping, filing, fitting of buttplug and scrimshawing required) were there.

Conner Prarie in Fishers, IN has accoutrement classes this fall (bag & horn). The bag maker is Ken Scott who is noted for his authentic and aged bags. The horn maker is Roland Cadle (sic) who is noted for his screw tip powder horns. Roland made the horn carried by Mel Gibson in "The Patriot." Frank House made the silver star that Roland mounted on the horn.

The Fair was strictly a gun building affair and the entire time was spent discussing gun building techniques. Other talks included: planes & scrapers of the 19th Century (hardly evolved from the 18th Cent), red violin finishes, rusting (finishing process).

Thanks

Thanks.
Wanted to see how far us powderhorn makers were advancing.
I don't know many good horn makers from out that way but most who are,are from the Honourable Company of Horners.

Roland is one and I believe Ken is also. Conner Prarie is a great event, but I havn't been able to make it cause it conflicts with other events.

My book on horn accoutrements is finished and will be out this year. You can get it through Smoke and Fire. I am almost finished with the flintlock book.
It always takes a while to get the illustrations finished.
I've missed the board... Been busy with my face buried in books and typeing on the word processor. Hope to get on here more.

Back