Ordering powder on-line?

Prof Young

Loaders:

The places I normally get powder from (Gunshows and local hardware stores) either aren't getting powder or aren't happening.

I'm thinking about getting powder on-line. Most of the pistol loads I use can be created with Titegroup. So I'm thinking about a five or eight pound order of it.

Any tips on ordering on line. Best place to get it. Etc.

Life is good.

Prof Young

Dang. Wrong forum. Can someone fix this.

Last edited:
Every online shooters supply charges "Hazardous Materials" fee for powder and primers, so the bigger quantity you order the less you pay per container. If you order primers and powder and buy a bunch, it is usually less overall than buying locally.

Some vendors require a signature when the delivery is made. Consider that issue, if you're not home during the day.

Last edited:
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

MidsouthShootersSupply.com
They do charge Hazmat, but through them, Hazmat is only $16.50.
MSS is in Tennessee, and they do NOT charge sales tax when shipping to CA.
My last couple of powder purchase were from there, and it was cheaper than Powder Valley.
They do seem to overprice Alliant products.
Looks like they got a shipment in recently. Gosh! They have Varget in stock!

Last edited:
My Powder Source

I usually buy at gun shows like you. There, I'd ask the local component vendors for their card. Sometimes you might find a vendor selling on Craigslist.

Try Sportsman's Warehouse. There is a store in Iowa and Indiana. You buy your powder and primer online and pick it up at the store. No hazmat fee. Their prices are good. Before this lockdown, you could just walk in and buy powder.

I hope this helps.

Buying a single container of powder on line is always a bit pricey because of shipping and hazmat costs. The best way, if you want to order on line, is to order in bulk through a place like Graf’s where shipping costs are the same no matter the size of the order. But I avoid on line powder purchases until I can order larger quantities (20 lbs or more). Here in NW Iowa I typically can get powder from Scheels in Sioux Falls for just slightly higher than Graf’s, and no shipping or hazmat fees; that is the best way to go for me until, like I said, I need a larger order, and then I order all kinds of reloading supplies at once so the shipping and hazmat amount to very little overall.

Might try Midway. Hazmat is only $11.99 & I think I remember that if you order powder & primers over $150 it eliminates the Hazmat fee.

Think of it as a supply reload....put together a list of primers, powder & bullets you need....one big order has to be your plan for everything you need for the year to make it a deal. You have to get the hazmat and shipping to split up to about $3-$5. Per item...

Every so often Midsouth will run a special where if you buy so many containers of powder they don't charge a hazmat fee. Last one I saw was for Alliant. Buy 6 and pay no fee. Of course I couldn't pass that up.

Sent from my SM-G986U1 using Tapatalk

Powder Valley usually has the best prices on powder and primers. But I still buy a lot of powder for some some local places.

Right now, the best place might be whoever has some.
Lowest cost will come from buying 8# jugs (2/case). Two cases of powder and a sleeve or two of primers should make the max weight for one hazmat fee

Ordered on line . . .

Looked around on line and finally found some TiteGROUP in stock at Natchez. Including all the taxes shipping and hazmat fees I got 8 pounds for $24.15 a pound. That's close to or better than what I used to pay per pound at the gun show. The gun show is about two gallons of gas away so it looks like this is a money saver.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Depends; how far "north" are you? A local gun club near Dunnellon I used to belong to got their members' orders delivered on the truck with the targets, saving shipping and hazmat; otherwise Gander in Ocala, Academy in Tallahassee and BASS have some (but the current selection is somewhat less than normal). Some of the smaller gun stores in N. FL and S. GA have stuff, but their prices are higher than what I am willing to pay.

Back