Ordered a Ruger American Ranch Rifle 7.62x39 ~ ProMag?

weblance

I will be picking up my new Ruger American 7.62x39 Ranch Rifle on Monday. Has anyone used the ProMag magazines in the Ranch Rifle, and what were the results?

Thanks

Doesn't that rifle use Ruger Mini 30 mags? If it doesn't my experience with pro-mag is not good. I bought a 5 round pro-mag for 7.62x39 AR and will barely feed the 1st round from the mag and will NEVER feed the 2nd after the first shot. My ASC mags work flawlessly.

Yes it does use Mini 30 mags. I want to know how it functions with ProMags. I'm not concerned how a semi-auto functions with them. I know they don't get great comments about reliability with a semi-auto, but since this is a bolt action, I want to know about the ProMag.

Every single ProMag I have used in the 40 years I've been shooting have been junk. Maybe I have the magic touch, and I certainly am a slow learner, (kept trying), but it finally go through to me - ProMag equals DoorStop.

I was under the impression that Ruger didn't make a 10 round Mini 30 magazine, but I see them on ShopRuger dot com. I want that capacity, and thought that ProMag was my only choice. I really hoped that the slower operation of a bolt action would allow the ProMag to operate reliably, but it doesn't make sense to save $10 then have a magazine in a box somewhere collecting dust.

I will order Ruger factory magazines

Yes... I see that Ruger DOES offer a factory 10 round Mini 30 magazine.

I wonder if magazine capacity limitation was the reason for the 10 round mag. They offer the Mini 30 with a 5 round, or 20 round magazine. Simply shipping a 5 round magazine to those states with a capacity restriction would work, but 10 is always better than 5

Promag = garbage in my experiences. I would stick to the factory mini 30 mags if it were me. I have never had any luck with promag mags.

If you're reloading bench is on areally un-even surface a pro-mag under the correct bench leg might work.
I don't have that problem, so the pro-mags I own permanently reside in an ammo can. I should throw them away.
On some guns, for the price, you can buy multiple and toss the ones that don't work. About 1 of three worked for my AK.

after market

ANY aftermarket magazine in my Mini 30 that is not a factory RUGER mag, has been a disapppointment. I bought a bunch of aftermarkets when the first big mag scare happened.......Ruger did not make the 20 rd Mini30 mag at that time. I still have them, but do not shoot them, as the factory 20 rd box is now available. I was also given a quantity by a fellow who had traded his mini30 away, and he reported same.....not reliable with anything but factory mags.

You guys do understand I'm NOT asking how they work in a Mini 30, right? I want to know how they work in the BOLT ACTION Ruger American Ranch Rifle.

You guys do understand I'm NOT asking how they work in a Mini 30, right? I want to know how they work in the BOLT ACTION Ruger American Ranch Rifle.
The RAR was designed to work with mini30 mags. How ProMags funtion in a mini30 should give you an indication of how they'll function in the RAR.

Also, they're ProMags. Nuff said!

I don't agree that a magazine that isn't very reliable in an autoloader doesn't have a better chance in a bolt action.

Since I couldn't find Ruger Factory 10 round magazines in stock anywhere for a reasonable price, I did order 2 ProMag 10 round magazines. I should have them tomorrow(Monday 10/23). After I get a chance to use them, I will report.

Weblance, you asked the question, an overwhelming response was negative about the company’s quality “ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances”. Hope the mags work well for you, I have the Ranch in 300 BO and the rotary mag is junk plastic and refuses to load short light weight bullets. We all have our problems:)

:) Ah, yes! Looking for the post-purchase affirmation...

We've all made the ProMag mistake. Mine were 2 purchases (Beretta 92 & Mini-14) and 1 as part of a trade (.45). Garbage, all! As a company, they should be ashamed of themselves.

By pass the Pro Mag, do not pass go, do not collect $200, go directly to Ruger Mini-30 mags. I have the RAR in 7.62x39 and for the difference in money, go Ruger mags.

Back