Optimum Training System

Jack Carson

This is an advertisement in the January/ February 2002 issue of American Handgunner. Four videos and a practice pistol. the ad says it will teach disarming techinques, etc.

Anybody have any info on this. Is it a marketing gimmick, etc. or is it for real?
jack

I haven't seen the add, but I would be leary of it. This is an area where there really is no substitute for hands on training with someone who knows what they are doing. The tape my have good information (again I haven't seen the add) but I wouldn't trust trying to learn it without a competent teacher.

That was my first thought as well

but I just wanted some confirmation. I've learned a few good things this way but more often I developed bad habits. They did have some good endorsements, though.

The tape might actually teach you some good techniques, but as alluded to, they will not do you any good until you practice them repeatedly and develop the muscle memory necessary for clean execution and confidence in your abilities.

Not sure on the price, but a good dojo/gym/training facility that teaches good hands-on lessons and practices with resisting opponents is the way to go.

Here is a good example. Some may practice disarming with a wooden or rubber knife. Try practicing with someone trying to stab you with a magic marker and look at all the marks when you are done. Extrapolate this to a "fake gun."

Certainly learning any technique is better than attempting such disarms on the fly without prior practice. Indeed, several successful mixed martial artists have done well in the ring learning from videos. I'm just saying that the quality of the time you spend focusing on such matters (training) is done in as realistic an environment as possible. IMO the worst thing is a false sense of security.

Back