Optics rec. for a Ruger/Gunsite Scout

FJ4ZROX

Just back form the LGS, where I got lucky and came across a guy wanting/needing to sell off 2 NIB rifles...a Sig R516 and a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle.

I know what to add to the Sig...ACOG w/ RMR and a Surefire laser/light combo....but what to add to the Ruger? I'm thinking something light and with a QD mount...probably thinking under 500 yds - as I have some long barreled 30-cals for longer range shooting. Seeking top end/high budget alternatives...

Leupold (Mk 8 or MR/T)? Swarovski? Zeiss? Kowa?

Thanx...can't wait for the wait period to end :D

Last edited:
Oh ok then. :rolleyes:

(Since you said it's not your longest range rifle, I'm assuming you'd prefer a lower low end than a higher upper end magnification. If you want the 15x, 17x, 22x, 60x top end, then these companies certainly have those too and I don't think you can go wrong. I also assume you're mounting the scope in the traditional over-action location instead of scout.)

I'd look at the US Optics SN-3 1.8-10x. Match the reticle to the turrets in your preferred flavor.

http://www.usoptics.com/optics/sn-3-1-8-10x.html

They have a slimline version with a 37mm objective instead of the 44mm and with covered turrets.

Or if you don't need the 1.8 low end, then Nightforce 2.5-10x32 NXS.

http://nightforceoptics.com/compacts/2.5-10-x-32-nxs-riflescope/

I've got the latter on a 223 and I like that it doesn't overpower the rifle.

scout scope

Hey zoom.

I'm thinking a scout rifle, needs a scout scope. Leupold for me, either the 2.75x std version or the reputed 1-4x (?) variable that I read about but have not seen. Leuplod quick release levers for rings.

My 2.75x has a chunky German #1 reticle and is visible even in darkness, to a degree anyhow. The bullet lands 2 inches above the post tip at 100 and I figure I have a 300yd rifle for deer and similar size targets.

The Scout is not considered a longrange rig, I myself would not want to plunk a big optic on top of a short, portable bolt carbine.

If you can't stand the scout scope, a medium powered variable, say 2-7x max, maybe even the 1.5-5x class , conventionally mounted, seems right to me.

Thanx for the suggestions...seriously looking at the Nightforce NXS Compact, Leupold Mk6 1-6x20, Swarovski Z6i 1-6x24, and a U.S. Optics SN-3 Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 1.8-10x 37mm.

All seem to follow the "Scout Rifle" concept in size, wt, and available magnification.

Does anyone know if I can use the Leupold QR rings with all of these "candidates"?

Your help is appreciated!!

I prefer the 32+ objective for the larger exit pupil on an all-around rifle. With that 1-6x20, the EP is only 3.3 at 6x, which is fine for bright light, but is going to seem dark otherwise. It's still not great with only a 32mm obj lens, but better at least.

Ok...thanx Zoomie...that clarifies your initial suggestions.

While I'd love to grab that S&B you recommended...seems like more scope (dollar wise) than this rifle justifies. Maybe I'll mount that or something similar on another 308 I'm planning to build (either a Natl Match grade M1A or another bolt gun).

So it's either the Nightforce or USO...

I put a Bushnell TRS-25 dot on mine. Works great out to 200 yards which was as far as the range I was at went. Was easily doing rapid fire on the steel plate up until I set the grass on fire, then had to run like mad and put it out.

Hey Zoomie...what do ya think about the Swarovski Z6i 2-12X50 Illuminated or Zeiss Victory Diavari 2.5-10x50mm (for non-US made alternatives)?

No personal experience with either model (brands of course are well respected), but I see diminishing returns once you get past the Nightforce/USO tier. My eye cannot tell enough difference in the German glass and high-end Japanese glass to justify the extra $1K. Lab rats say its better, and I'm sure it is, but I can see pretty damn well through my NF 3.5-15x50.

(If it's not obvious by now, my orginal $4K S&B Short Dot recommendation was more tongue in cheek than serious.)

bamaranger - thanks for the quick blast of reality. I always get caught up in overbuilding...heck, for a Scout rifle, I could probably use a high quality red dot, as the darn thing will easily be 100-300 yds max (with the most shooting around 100 for hunting). Again - longer barreled 30 cal designed for longer range shooting for the 300-1000 stuff (and a nice big scope which we can discuss in another thread).

Biggest problem is finding a EER scope with decent optics/build...hence my thoughts about a red dot....quick target acquisition, long eye relief, etc.

For a true scout rifle, quick target acquisition...
I'd love to go with a 1-6 Vortex Razor HD for under 500 yards.
It'll give you the zero magnification of a red dot when you want it, and enough power to reach out if you need to.
http://swfa.com/Vortex-1-6x24-Razor-HD-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P55713.aspx

Got three Vortex scopes, and I don't ever see myself buying another brand. Call me a fanboy, but their lifetime transferable warranty, and incredible customer service/turnaround times are unsurpassed.

tobnpr - but that's another one with only 3.5"-4" of ER...to use the forward mount I'm thinking I need closer to 6.5"-8.5" - otherwise, I won't be able to use the scope. Am I wrong?

That's what I was thinking...if that's the case, then I'm going for USO - SN-3 T-PAL 1.8-10x 37 Side Focus 1/10 Mil Adjustments First Focal Illuminated GAP Reticle...

Suggestions for a nice set of QD rings?

IER

The classic scoutscope is intermediate eye relief. An extended eye relief EER pistol scope, may or may not work.

I thought about a IER and a dot, (two optics). My problem was I could always see game, but in bad light, I could not always see the reticle, (with a std duplex IER).

Yeah well, a reticle change was a whole loat cheaper than a quality red dot, so I had Leupold put the chunky German #1 in the IER and am well pleased.

Good luck with your new rifle.

Back