Optics Question

Fireman179

I have a Ruger blackhawk in 357 with a 6.5in barrel. I have decided I want to scope my revolver but have no experience with scoped handguns. I do not want a clamp on scope mount and I want a variable power scope. What scope and mount do you recommend?

Can't help with a mount having never owned a Blackhawk but I can say that almost all of my pistols wear a Bushnell 2-6X. Half dozen of them on everything up to a 444 and never had an issue.

I've never used the Nikon but I know several folks who do. Seems to hold up pretty well. Of course if you want to spend the coin Burris makes some fine glass.

Never used the Nikon, but would expect it to work fine. The 2.5X at low end is good.
Will recommend a Weigand base. Drilling & tapping is required. Have used one on a 44 Super Blackhawk with no problems.
Any good Weaver-style rings.

That is the base I have. Mine is black.
As far as rings, I used the old-style Weavers on my 44 and they worked. As a recommendation, Leupold PRWs are the first ones that come to mind.

The only handgun scope I've owned was a Leupold 2X. I have shot a couple others. IMO, low power is a good thing for a handgun scope. I would expect the 2.5X on that Nikon to be a lot more useful than the 8X.
I would prefer a handgun scope with a heavier, bolder reticle, but they don't seem to make them, so I must be in the minority on that.

Back