optics for Ruger 10/22?

WannabeMiculek

I was looking in my safe today and remembered an old 10/22 I had been given a few years back, and I want to "upgrade" it. I will be getting a boyd or magpul replacement stock, and a bx-25 drop in trigger. I was wondering what optics are popular with 10/22's whether it's the classic 4x32 scope, or something like a red dot?

Also how big of a difference do quality scope rings make in terms of accuracy and precision?

Last edited:
I have had really good luck with Simmons scopes for rimfire. Affordable and perfectly clear at 100 yards.

+1 on the Simmons. I have a 3-9x32 from Walmart for $40. I played it safe figuring if I didn't like it, the store is 5 mins away and the return is no questions asked. Works great, won't be returning it.

When I get a Ruger Charger and put a Sig brace on it, I'll probably get a second Simmons.

I shoot my 10/22 rifles at 200 to 350 yards, so I use regular regular centerfire riflescopes. I like Sightron Big Sky on mine they are 4X16X44. Great scopes to see the little targets at 50 yards as mine have a very fine reticle with a 1/8" target dot. It is a hoot shooting that far. It is how I practice reading the wind.

I've used a cheap Centerpoint 3-9x40 scope on my 10/22 for about 12 years. Can't remember price, but it was well under $100. No issues with it. I zeroed it in at 50 yards and the BDC reticle works well for 100 yards. I can put all my shots in a golf ball sized hole at 50 yards with it. I just use my 10/22 for fun/plinking and I don't shoot farther than 100 yards with mine, so this optic works fine for me.
So I would say if you're just going to use your 10/22 as a fun-gun for under 100 yards like mine, a cheaper scope will work fine. If you're looking to shoot past 100 yards accurately, get a better brand scope. You'll also may want a better barrel too if going that route (assuming you have factory barrel now). To answer your last question, I don't think the rings make a big difference since there is practically no recoil with a 22.

I shoot my 10/22 rifles at 200 to 350 yards
That's awesome and I've heard of people who like to shoot long distances using 22. I feel like you have to "pilot" your bullet to the target. What kind of barrel do you have on your 10/22?

Last edited:
That's awesome and I've heard of people who like to shoot long distances using 22. I feel like you have to "pilot" your bullet to the target. What kind of barrel do you have on your 10/22?

I have a Tac Sol barrel on it. I also use my Remington 513T with a Ken Vianni mount to shoot long distance. It is a lot of fun.

What are you going to shoot?
What time of day?

I really like my Tasco 3-9x50.. used for squirrel hunting and the 50mm brings in a lot of light in late evening.

For just general plinking I would check out a 1-4 Leupold. I found them on sale a while back for a hair over $200.

I have used an UltraDot on my 10-22 also. It works very well. I have an UltraDot 6 on my AR15 in 22 LR. I like it a lot.

Bob

I started out with a Leupold 4x12x40 Rifleman series scope on my custom 10/22 and it worked fine. Scope was previously on a 223 and worked well out to 200 yds but the cross hairs were too thick/heavy for what I wanted to accomplish (cut playing cards and precision shooting at 50/100 yds) so I put a Weaver 36x target scope on it. As you can see, there are numerous options available but you need to let everyone know what your purpose/use will be.

I also have had good luck with the Simmons 22 scopes and have a few Ruger 10/22s with them installed. They seem to hold up well and I have had no complaints.

think small

To me, nothing looks more goofy than an oversize, centerfire scope on a standard size 10-22. Sure, you can get exotic with a tricked out bull barrel custom stocked rifle. But the standard model is a tidy, compact rifle that needs a similar scope.

Look at the Leupold Rimfire 4x, or the Rimfire 2-7x. Neither of those make the handy 10/22 look like a zeppelin, and offer all the optic most folks need for regular .22 shooting.

Not scope related, but if you're trying to "improve" your 10/22, why not get a better barrel for it? I've owned several tricked out Rugers that I shot competition with and the weakest link on the Ruger is the barrel. That would be the first thing I'd get for it. I put function over form every time. First get it to shoot and then go for the stock. Just my two cents.

Back