Optics for Rem 700 VTR 308

Gamestalker

Inactive
What will do the bill from 100 to 400 yards and not get knocked around by the heavier ballistic loads for this chambering. Naturally I meet low light situations more often than not. Please, the rings are as important as the scope - so help would be appreciated. Got the gun, bare, and wanna go this season with something that works. Have a Leupold 4X14 on my REM 223 VTR but would just as soon leave it where it is and get something better for low light and cheaper (!). The Osprey 10-40X looks pretty neat, but there is nothing reliable on it out there. Been burned by glitzy, cheap optics before. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm new to scopes due to eye problems and cheaping out is not the way to go. Want to buy some? I've got them.

Nikon is the best lower priced scope that I've found.

Leupold VX-II or VX-3
Nikon Monarch
Zeiss Conquest

Leopold rings and bases will do you well for about $100 total.

If this is a rifle that you are going to keep forever, get a scope that will last forever. Pay once, and you are good to go. Tough to complain about Leupold's customer service ... I would lean that way, personally.

I have the Leupold VXIII in Leupold rings on a Leupold mount on my 700P .308.

It is nice and bright and works fine. I also have a few Nikons and they work as well.

The Leupold is a 6.5-20 I think. The rifle is in the safe now so I do not know off hand.:D

There are lots of great scopes out there and many have already been mentioned. The Leupold vari X II is also a great scope for the money. Another one not mentioned is the Bushnell Elite 4200 and they fall between the Vari X II and the Vari V III optically and cost less then both of them new.

As others have stated the Nikon scopes are good scopes and are also bright and clear. I have two Nikon scopes and my last one a Nikon Coyote Varmint in 4.5x14x40mm is a great scope.

I advise if you want a scope to meet your needs especially in low light don't go cheap and I think that out to 400 yards a 40mm objective lens on a good quality scope will fill the bill.

leupold

You cannot go wrong with a Leu. and they have the price range covered, from the Var-II all the way to the Mark 4's.

On magnification, 3x9x40 is traditional and would suit on game to 400 yds.

For a bit more magnification, and some more $, 4x12 is seeing use around here by guys hunting ROW's and cut overs.

My opinion of 6-20x is that it is a target/competition/comp scope, big and heavy and not suitable for a field/hunting rifle. If you intend this use, be sure and get adjustable objective on any scope, as parallex is a factor in top accuracy.

I like one piece steel bases for accuracy rifles,my F-TR rifle wears a Warne. Use two pieces if you intend to carry it much and are trying to shave weight. I think Burris Zee rings are very sharp looking and run them on several of my sporters, w/ two piece bases for a traditional look.

If you are into tactical, the Burris XTR is an affordable option. ($50.00) They're aluminum, but stout and I put them on my F-TR as I was building on a budget.

How much extra weight and bulk do you want to drag around?

A 3-9x40 is more than what you need - The $225 mark will get you a Burris FullField II or a Nikon Buckmaster. Both of these are fine if you aren't getting there by float plane.

In low light, a 40mm objective will be plenty bright enough with good glass. At 6x, you can see everything you'd need to hunting. The $100 scopes, maybe not, but with decent glass, you're good.

I like the Talley "lightweight" mounts. The base and the lower ring are one piece. Mounted properly, these are tough enough for anything but combat.

-tINY

Back