optics for aging eyes, for handguns...

when I was younger ( I started shooting pretty late in life ) I scoped everything I pretty much owned, including my revolvers & autos... after several years of shooting I finally came to my senses & pulled off all the ungainly scopes & on some put better open sights... now that i'm getting older, & these reflex sights have gotten better & smaller... I'm thinking about adding a few back to a couple revolvers...

dots... triangles... "other reticles"... sizes... & colors... now there are so many choices... I could use some reaffirmation of my choices... I'm thinking bigger "object" for normal handgun hunting & target distances ( say 50 yards or less ) & thinking the triangles seem like a good idea, as they could be both fast, & precise, using either the whole triangle, or just the upper point... I'm thinking orange for my color... I have orange front fiber optics, & they seem to stand out better in the green foliage, better than yellow, green or red... at least for my eyes... i'm liking this model right here... as it doesn't use batteries...

www.midwayusa.com/product/172903/trijicon-rmr-reflex-dual-illuminated-red-dot-sight

but would like to hear others suggestions, that are either thinking about them, or have tried a few... Thanks

I guess I rely on the fiber optics... at this point i'm not talking about "tactical guns" but guns I shoot a lot... long term, I've not done well with firearm electronics... like buying lasers in the 80's :eek:

I guess I rely on the fiber optics... at this point i'm not talking about "tactical guns" but guns I shoot a lot... long term, I've not done well with firearm electronics... like buying lasers in the 80's
I also rely on the fiber optics and have been for several years, I tried reading glasses but the target would be out of focus, same with bi-focal glasses. This getting old leaves alot to be desired.:D

I use the seeall on a rifle and love it. Like you, my eyes are going too, even the fiber optics are getting blurry :mad:

Dot scopes and the like can be frustrating to use at first.
Like the Seeall web site demonstrates, unless the gun and sight are aligned well to the target, they aren't there to be seen.
They then require lots of wiggling and fishing around to find.
In a way they are good to practice with to help improve technique, though.

Like the Seeall web site demonstrates, unless the gun and sight are aligned well to the target, they aren't there to be seen.
They then require lots of wiggling and fishing around to find.
In a way they are good to practice with to help improve technique, though.

This is no different than the red dots. The see all is on target whenever you see the triangle, same as the red dots being on target whenever you see the dot. And there is no parallax with a see all.

I wasn't picking on the See All in particular.
Only pointing out something of the genre as a whole, that was nicely demonstrated on their web site.

I agree with the alignment issue, I discovered that while looking at one on a revolver at a gun show where the dealer had some he was demoing.
I don't think it would be anywhere as bad on a rifle simply because there's more to align with a pistol, the rifle's stock kinda gives a "preliminary alignment" just by mounting the gun.

I do think it will help someone with older eyesight as it puts the "front sight", "rearsight" & target all in the same plane of focus. From the shooters POV they are all "out there" so distance vision correction is all that would be needed.

My better half is kind of cross eyed.
So, we put a tube style red dot scope on her trusty .22 pistol.
It took her awhile to be able to put the gun out there and be able to find the dot quickly.
But after some practice she was able to do it every time, and to really score well in the local rimfire steel match division.
Ping, ping, ping, ping, ping - done.
And just about that fast.
Her typical run, on a good day with open sights, was usually over 6 seconds.
With her dot sight - rarely over four seconds and usually less.
Big difference by the final score.

I have a couple of these older Pro point sights... so I'm used to the "disappearing dots" but am hoping for something that works as well, but is smaller, to put on my revolvers

Yeah, those tube type dots are a bit on the large size.
But they are also much easier to find the dot with and aim, thanks to the long tube body.
And they can also be used for successful aiming even when the dot quits.
The "flat screen" reflex style are more difficult.
But like anything, practice overcomes all.

Back