Optics for a Rem 700 in 308 - Accupoint vs NXS vs VX6

mitchntx

I traded for a Remington 700 SPS and immediately hated the Hogue stock. It felt like the rifle was covered in a condom.

I'm making a platform specifically a pig rig that probably will rarely if ever see anything over 200 yards ... 80-140 yards primarily. I'm wanting something longer than a 3-9 for these tired old eyes.

I'm a "traditional" kind of person, liking the look and feel of a nice wooden stock. So it's being fitted with a Boyd's walnut stock. I'm losing the ability to unload the mag from the bottom, but that's OK. I can cycle the action to accomplish it old-school.

It will be outfitted with a YHM Phantom Ti and run Hornady 208g AMAX subsonic rounds ... the reason it will rarely see anything over 200 yards. I've shot a Rem700 with my suppressor using the Hornady subsonic loads and its unbelievably quiet. At 100yds, I think the possibility of the pigs not being alarmed is very high, allowing for second or third shots. Maybe I'm deluded ...

For optics ... the feeders have lights, so night hunting will happen often.

I have looked through the Trijicon Accupoint, Nightforce NXS and Leupold VX-6. Of course, all three were great at the gun shop. But I'm looking for real world experience with the any of those three in low or moon lit environments.

Primarily I'm seeking impressions with clarity, reticle illumination, framing and zoom/focus control.

I'm leaning toward the Accupoint because of the non-battery powered reticle and side focus controls. I already have a VX-R on an AR-10 and its great. I've also read great things about the Nightforce line, but never shot anything with one attached.

Thanks in advance for any feedback ... or other suggestions.

If it matters ... this is a gift to me from my wife for an anniversary present. I've already purchased a day at a local outfitters for her to be fitted for a bow. Not my cup'o tea, but its what she wants ...

i picked up a nos burris (four x series 1.5x-6x-40 with 30mm tube with the 3p#4 retical(number 200730) and it is very good in low light and with lights at night. i found mine for 175.00 and like it. eastbank.

Your choice of stock material is personal but why did you trade for a rifle with a stock you don't like? There are many others available with more traditional stocks.
Next, I can't see your need for a "longer than 3-9" for shooting under 200 yards. The higher magnifications generally don't work as well under low-light conditions and have narrower fields of view-both of which are less than optimum for night hunting.
In addition, your perceived need for "side focus" totally baffles me. For most hunting scenarios, focus is a non-issue and just another widget to get bumped, twiddled, or inadvertently "adjusted".

Good luck with your project sir. Are you near Dallas? I would be interested in the take off stock if it is the pillar bed version. I would want to see the stock in person. I don't mind the raincoat feel.

EB ... thanks I'll look at the Burris closer. The Rem700 I tried with the suppressor had a Burris on it.

mobuck ... fair questions and thanks for keeping me honest.

Why? opportunity and price primarily. I was more leaning to a Savage, but the 700 was there, SPS already had a threaded barrel, unfired it was under $600, the owner wanted a revolver I was trying to sell and I don;t think I've ever seen a threaded barrel/wood stock combo before. I picked up the Boyd's stock cheap as well. Seemed like a very opportunistic moment.

The difference in price between a 3-9 and the next step up is less than 10% of the overall cost. I've learned expensive lessons about buying once vs buying twice. The Accupoint may run up to 20x, but that doesn't mean I have to use it and the reason why I'm looking for that one individual who has used two of the three to compare. It's easy to generalize about how well it works ... it's another to have actually tried it.

I went back and reread the part about the side focus. While I never specifically posted the "need" for side focus, I acknowledge it possibly could be inferred.

How about this for clarity ...

I'm leaning toward the Accupoint because of the non-battery powered reticle in case I accidently leave the optic powered and have no replacement batteries at hand and side focus controls because windage controls and focus are centralized and less apt to generate noise stroking up and down the optic making adjustments at critical times ... plus I've had one and have read good reviews about it's fine adjustment. With or without is not a deal breaker, just sharing where my I'm leaning ... leaning, not buying today.

Zach ... Thanks ... I'm looking for to it's maiden voyage.

I'm SW of Ft. Worth near Stephenville. While I would be willing to sell the stock, I doubt either of us are willing to travel 2hrs each way for an inspection. I can say it's from a never fired weapon, but that's just words posted on the internet. I completely understand the anxiety.

May I suggest checking out the Vortex line of scopes. I especially like Vortex's 1-6x Generation 2; whose reticle was designed by Jerry Miculek.

I guess you're aware of Remington's Model 700/Model 7 callback, on rifles that have the XM Pro trigger?

Back