Opinions Wanted on Scouterizing Mauser FR 8

JJCII

I purchased a Spanish Military FR 8 at a recent gunshow in great condition. The bolt and receiver numbers are not an exact match but the bore and exterior finish look good. I purchased it in hopes of building a pseudo scout rifle. The modifications I would like to make include: forward mounted scope, new synthetic stock, three position sling and an ammo carrier.

The FR 8 is chambered for the 7.62x51 but there are opinions which cast doubt on its suitability for .308 Winchester commecial loadings.

So, whadaya think? Is the FR 8 a good rifle for a scout project or should I leave it in its' current configuration? Anybody have one of these rifles in stock or modified condition?

TIA
jjc2

I have one. Unfortunately, the front site hood's top has been sawed off, which ruins the site picture.

I have debated various mods, but think I may just go for adding the Ashley GR, and a light. Oh, and perhaps having the bolt bent, too. The gun is really too light and handy to weigh down much, wouldn't you agree?

The FR-7's were weaker rifles. You should have 0 probs with an FR-8 in good condition.

gunmart,

Since the FR 8 action is basically a Mauser 98 wouldn't an aftermarket stock for a large ring Mauser (i.e. Mauser 98) fit?

Spectere,

I agree with you on the handiness of the rifle, as I am not out to change that in any way. I would like to have a forward scope mount to increase the usable range of the rifle. Sorry to hear about your front site I will be retaining the sites on mine. The bottom ring below the front site hood which holds the cleaning supplies capsule will have to go. Replacing the original stock with a synthetic sporter style stock will hopefully drop the weight of the rifle a bit. Also, I'm leaving the bolt straight, I think it's a bit faster to operate.

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

jjc2

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Since the FR 8 action is basically a Mauser 98 wouldn't an aftermarket stock for a large ring Mauser (i.e. Mauser 98) fit?[/quote]

I'd like to hear an answer to this. I have an FR-8 also.

Darn, darn, darn! Look at all these people with FR-8s! I've been looking for one in good condition at a decent price for quite awhile now. I know Spectre has one, I remember writing to him about his in the past.
Regarding the cut front protective hood - an article I read in Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement by Gary Paul Johnston (sp?) gave an excellent review for the Century Arms imported FR8s and he thought it would make an excellent patrol rifle for the rural officer who may need a weapon with extended range. He actually cut the hood on his rifle to allow "more light" I believe. I recall his example shooting some excellent near 1MOA groups with commercial ammo. He was impressed with the short rifle's accuracy.
Still looking on the West Coast, EricO

Don't do it, if it is in original shape it will have more value as a Mill-Surp. If you really need to make a millitary scout may I recomend that you try an M-48 as it's bold is already bent, and most after market stocks will fit better than the FR-8.

Bruns Bros. has complete kit (rifle,cleaning kit,bayonet,frog,sling for $146.99 with matching bolts (8x57JS)

and

CZ-24 very good w/marking $99.99
very good w/o markings 89.99
good w/markings 69.99
good w/out markings 57.00

At these prices you can get a CZ and a NEW barrel installed pretty darn cheap or use 8x57JS

Back