Opinions--start out with auto or revolver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gwinnydapooh

Retired Screen Name
I posted not too long ago about good beginner handguns, and a lot of people suggested the Ruger DA revolvers in .357 mag.

That seems like a good suggestion, but here's the deal. I've noticed that Ruger autos go for close to what revolvers do on Gunsamerica.com, often the same price. I've also since held a couple (a P95 and a P89) and I REALLY liked the way they fit my hands. Also, to be honest I'm worried about what's coming down the pipe here in IL and it seems like autos get the worst of it first.

Given all that, does it make sense to start with the auto, or am I just getting dazzled by the "flash?" I like the idea of the capacity of the auto and I think 9mm is a good centerfire to learn with. I also understand how to use an auto in theory, I just don't have practical experience. Thoughts?

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

Start out with a Glock pistol. They are simple and reliable, no un-safe levers or switches to fumble with. 9mm Glocks have very little recoil, heck, neither do the 40S&W Glocks.

I think you have ans'd your own question. Money wise, and what they feel like. Revolvers are great guns, and so are some autos. You have to decide. You're the one that is going to shoot it.

I like the Glock also. Good solid gun, little maintenance, (parts replacement etc)

HJn

When someone has a totally open mind and is asking this question, I tell them to get a "K Frame" .38/.357 and shoot light .38 loads until they get proficient.

When someone has a decided bias, as in your case, my advice is always, "Buy what you like, you'll probably do well with it." Besides, few of us actually stop at one.

The Ruger autos I've handled have been (1) "ugly" in appearance (doesn't matter, my Glock is way uglier!); (2) very reasonably priced; (3) adequately accurate for my purposes for them; (4) suprisingly "ergonomic" for the bukly appearance they present at first glance. I think they are an outstanding buy. If money is no object, I like the full sized Glock, if "size doesn't matter."

Revolver or semi-auto to start. A good way to decide is to go to a local shooting range first and rent both. A .357 revolver is good since you can use both .38 special and .357. A semi-auto is good because it can hold more rounds - if you go with a full-sized or some compacts.
I don't know why people always call Rugers ugly. I personally think Walther P99's are ugly, as well as AK-47's. Anyway, looks aside, a Ruger semi-auto is a good place to start. For a little more cash you could look into an EAA Witness, which has the nice option of mulitiple slides to change the calibers.
Whether you choose a revolver or a semi-auto, make sure that you try both styles, practice safety always and don't think of it as a toy.

Later,
Rich

I suggest (as others here have) that you go to a range and rent several revolvers and semi-autos and see which are more comfortable for you to shoot. I recently purchased my first handgun, and I got a S&W 686 plus .357 Mag revolver.

I agree with cnemeth with slight modification. If you've got shooting buddies, borrow their stuff and try it out. You'll find out what you like, dislike, and all it'll cost you is ammunition (and some pizza). After all, the most important thing is that you have confidence in yourself and that firearm.

BTW, early Rugers (like my P85) were extremely ugly. Enough complaints reached Ruger and they slimmed, trimmed and aesthetically improved them since. Ruger did listen and compare the later P series with the earlier ones.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

My personal recommendation is to start newbies out with a .22 revolver. After that, I also recommend a .357 with reasonable weight to absorb some of the recoil of the .38 and a 9mm Glock.

I have found the P-89 to be accurate, reliable and fun to shoot, untill things get hot. I went out with a friend a few weeks ago when the tempature was about 101 degrees, as I live in Arizona this is normal. We had a couple of SIGs, a Glock and the P-89. We put 30 rounds through the P-89, then set it down for about 45 minutes. When my friend picked it up, it was warm to the touch, as was expected. However, after putting only nine rounds through it the pistol was to hot to hold in a bare hand. The SIGs, a P220 and a P226, and the Glock, a 19, had all fired 250 rounds, combined, in 45 minutes without becoming more than warm to the touch. This may not be an everyday concern in Monmouth, IL, but it is something to consider.

------------------
May your lead always hit center mass and your brass always land in your range bag.

~Blades~

Here is a complicated answer to a simple question especially if you plan on depending on it for protection.

Go with an auto if you are willing to become 'intimate' with it. Take classes to know what to do if it jams, shoot it relentlessly, know if the safety is on by feel, etc. I carry a Beretta 92FS every day. I know if it's chambered by feel alone (not all that impressive, it's built into the design).

A revolver is much more reliable. That is my backup. If it ever comes down to using my revolver, for whatever reason, I know I have 6 shots that are going to work every time.

If all you are going to do is target shoot, buy a .22 target pistol. I am a firm believer in having the right tool for the right job.

-RobL

It's all personal preference, I don't believe that someone has to start with a revolver. Years ago I started with a semi-auto. If you are willing to learn how they work, and practice until you are proficient they you will do fine.

About what I thought. I'll probably go with the revolver unless the deal on an auto is too sweet to pass up. I like autos and all but I REALLY like the simplicity of the revolver.
The comment about the heat was interesting. It only gets above 90 here in the middle of the summer most years, but I don't want a gun I can't shoot outdoors in the summer! Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I can't carry the gun outside the house but I may decide to carry it when home just to have it handy and know who has access to it at all times. That's still legal in Illinois, somehow. Would the revolver be easier to carry discreetly (not to make the company uncomfortable?)

Finally, is there anything to the idea that autos will be the first banned for sale in IL if such a thing happens? If so, does anyone really think it makes that much difference in which I should buy first?

Keep the cool advice coming!

------------------
Don

"Its not criminals that go into schools and shoot children"
--Ann Pearston, British Gun Control apologist and moron

I started with a Glock 17 and never regretted it.

Still have it, too.

I think single action autos are easier to shoot when you finally decide you really want to shoot.

I wouldn't advise double-action autos just because they are so much more difficult to shoot for the first one.

Edmund

No argument with any of the above, but an add-on consideration: I took a self-defense shooting course in 1980. Some 750 rounds in three days. While I had done a lot of shooting, "double-tap", "El Presidente", etc. were all new to me.

There were two young, rather small women in the class. One had never held any pistol before; the other had done some .22 plinking.

They both used Govt. models. At the end of the course, they were about in the middle as to skill level, out of some 10 people. High-score Presidentes in around 8 seconds.

My point is that size doesn't matter. "Complexity" of an auto doesn't matter. The recoil and monkey motion of an auto doesn't matter.

What matters is the desire to learn and the willingness to continue learning/practicing until the shooter is proficient.

Final comment: In general, an auto is easier to conceal than a revolver; it's narrower. I have no difficulty in concealing a Govt model...I'm 6', 180...

FWIW, Art

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back