Opinions - Springfield MilSpec vs Colt 1991A1

rogermac

Well, I've decided to finally break down and buy a 1911. I'm not very fond of most of the modern "improvements" and want one of the basic models. Anyone have any opinions / experiance with these two pistols?

Thanks... Mac

COLT

I've had two Colt M1991A1s and love them. They are excellent pistols and more authentic to an original if that is what you are looking for. The newest models that are CNC produced with the Videcki trigger and stainless barrels are VERY tight and some of the best pistols Colt has made in a long time. Of course, with the current prices Colts are going for lately you have to be careful where you get one so you don't get ripped off. You shouldn't pay more than $550 max for one. Also they are made in the USA and not Brazil if that matters.

I'm not an expert on 1911's, but in a recent thread titled "which gun were you most disapointed in" there were a surprising number of posts which indicated that the owners of Springfields were not happy campers... I had always thought of them as high quality guns. You might try to find that thread and read it..

I have had a couple each of each of those two models, and while there was little difference in actual shooting, the Springfields seemed to be better made.
Your best bet, if you have the time and money, is to cruise http://www.gunsamerica.com for a Series 70 or earlier Colt Govt Model if you want a basic model.

Back