Opinions please

Concur

I agree with the pre-sellout S&W K-frame or Ruger Single-Six suggestions. Of course, I just had a session with my 617 w/ 6" barrel where I was really in the zone. Double action hits on empty shotgun shells at 12-20 yards, no problem. Must be the gun.

FYI, the K-frame Smith .22's are the model 18, .22 Combat Masterpiece, available in 4" only, and model 17/617 K-22 Masterpiece, available with 6" (common) or 8 3/8" (rare) tubes. Hard to go wrong with any of those.

And from the FWIW department, the Model 17 was also made with a 4" barrel from 1986 to 1993. I know at least one of them, a M17-6, came with a full-lug barrel, but I don't know if they were all full lug or a mixture of full and short. A very nice gun.

Having gotten that out of the way, I really like the 8-3/8" model.

Of course, I like my old Single-Six, too.

John

I have a K-22 Masterpiece from the 50's. My father bought it new. It is a pleasure to shoot and it's very accurate. My K-22 must have over 100,000 rounds through it with no problems whatsoever.

Randy

I can recommend the Dan Wesson. I have one with an 8" barrel, its a great shooter. The full length underlug makes it muzzle heavy, but not difficult to shoot as the frame and grip are larger than found on a normal .22 revolver.
Take Care

I like the K-22's, and the post-1957 M17's.
I'm not as much into the underlugged barrel M17's and M617's; the bore is so tiny that it already has plenty of muzzle stability, and with the underlug it is just too muzzle heavy.
Well, the 4" full-lug isn't bad, but the 6" and 8 3/8" full lugged .22's are too much.

I really like my M18! Sweet shooter, too bad it's not a round butt.

Oh, and all the above are adjustable sighted K-frames.
If you're ambitious, and willing to wait, you could hunt for a M45, or pre-M45, the .22LR M&P with fixed sights. Like a skinny barreled 4" M10, only in .22LR!

I know you stated you want a long barrel (and I think medium frame was implied), but the J-frame M34 (blue) and M63 (stainless) are great fun in 2 and 4 inch.

-Kframe

Back