Opinions please

philbert

Inactive
I have my eye on a Taurus PT-101 which I know is basically a clone of the Baretta 96. I have yet to hear or read anything terribly negative about the quality of the gun or the manufacturer, but I would appreciate any thoughts /opinions you guys may have on the subject. The Taurus is substancially cheaper then the Barettas I've been looking at and I'm wondering if the extra money for the Baretta is worth it.
Thanks in advance.

philbert; This is the experience I had with full size 40 cal Taurus pistols. I've tried two. Both were used and both were jamamatics because of Extracter problems. The one gunshop owner commented Taurus 40 cal's were known to have extracter problems. Now, this is what I "heard" also- that Taurus took them off the market for awhile to address the problem and recently re-introducted the full size 40's. At this point they could very well be totally reliable, I don't know. As far as Beretta mod 96 40 cal's are concerned I owned one briefly and maybe put 4 or 5 hundred rounds thru it with zero malfunctions. Good Luck, J. Parker

DISCLAIMER: J. Parker is a very knowledgeable individual, so I am not DISAGREEING with him in anyway :)

My experience with the Taurus PT 101 about 10 years ago was EXCELLENT!

The only problem I ever had with it was that sometimes, cheap brass would smack me in the shooting glasses (thank goodness for them!) but that was all.

I sold it a few years ago to buy my HK USP45, and I'm REALLY satisfied with my deal, but I keep toying with the idea of calling the guy I sold it to and asking him if he'd consider parting with it... It probably just sits in his gun cabinet along with the other 25 or so handguns he owns.

I say go for it!

Back