Opinions please- Lever or Bolt Action

Strabs

The time has arrived when I purchase a new gun. I've decided that it will be either a Marlin 336M (when they become available) or a Winchester (pre 64 type) in .308 or 30-06.
I am really attracted to the lever action, but the only reason I'm hesitant is because I'm not that familiar with the action mechanisms and their reliability and durability compared to a bolt action (they appear to have a lot more moving parts). I want this to be a rifle that can take some abuse(dirt, moisture, etc.)and still function very dependably. I know a bolt gun will always be more accurate than a lever, but other than that, accuracy will be dependant upon what I can make it.
Your ideas/opinions are appreciated.

Nothing puts on more smiles than a lever gun.
I to am waiting for the new stainless Marlin to become available. As for bolt action, the modern bolt action offerings from Winchester, Remington or Browning, will provide better accuracy than any lever gun. It is just the nature of the beast, these modern firearms just have better technology. They are plain and simple.

Robert

[This message has been edited by Robert the41MagFan (edited March 23, 2000).]

Typical lever actions are quite durable and every shooter should have one at some time, IMO.

A friend has a 94 Winchester made in 1916, he's the third owner. A truckload of venison has fallen to that antique,and it's tight as a bank vault.

Mine's much newer, say mid 80s, but I expect it to last several generations longer than I will.

And just for fun, try going through a practical pistol course with the Thutty- Thutty. Fun and very informative....

Certainly no argument with the above statements!

Remember that the classic lever guns are pressure-limited to around 40,000 psi. So, they don't use the 50,000+ psi cartridges--which are the ones with the flat trajectories and long-range accuracy.

There are too many beat-up and battered but still functioning old "thutty-thutties" still around to worry about reliability. Within the limitations of their range, they are quite effective.

And there's something just kinda "fun!" about shooting them...

:), Art

Sounds like your wanting the lever gun.
Then you need to get the lever gun ASAP.
If you get the Bolt Gun - you'll just end up buying a lever action later. So go ahead and save you some money and buy what you want to start with.
Your concerns regarding the lever gun are basically unproven - Lever Actions are proven to be very reliable and durable.
You want something NOT relaible or durable - you could get an AR... :D

If at all possible get BOTH!!!!!! :D (that is if you are like me and the wife will let you get away with it) Both are fine rifles. They are different in design and made to do different things best but both are fine firearms!

Carlyle

[This message has been edited by Southla1 (edited March 23, 2000).]

If you just plain like lever guns, that is OK. The Marlins are pretty easy to maintain and field strip, but have some parts that tend to get lost. The 92/94 Winchester bolt removal requires a shop and tools; it is not something done in the field. Also, you are limited to cartridges in a relatively low pressure range.

IMHO, for a rugged rifle, go with the '98 Mauser, of which there are hundreds around, and which you can have barrelled to the caliber of your choice. Many are already in .308. Put on a plastic stock or just cut down the original wood. That way, you will have a rifle that will take a beating and if it's dropped, dented, or busted, you won't cry a lot. (Tears have been known to flow when a brand new rifle went bouncing down the hillside. Of course that couldn't possibly happen to you, but...)

Spend what you save on ammo, and have fun.

Jim

Levers are more likely to have magazine problems, feeding problems and are less accurate than bolts...

This aside levers have more astetic appeal in my eye ( except Mannlichers, they are super sleek)...

It seemes you want a rifle that will function flawlessly...So my suggestion is a good quality bolt action.

peace
:cool: Izzy

I love the lever guns, but for rough and dirty work I'll take a Remington 700. I can detail strip a 700 with a 5/32 allen wrench, a dime (or dogtag), and a bootlace. Try that with a lever.

Having said all that I'd trade one of my 700's for a stainless Winchester 94 Trapper 16" .44 mag with a half-cock safety, thank you very much.

------------------
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war.

p42a.jpg

If you like shooting with open sights get the 336M and put an aperture sight on it, there are many well made receiver & tang sights to choose from and they're entirely appropriate for shooting anything within the effective range of the .30-30 cartridge. If you want a scoped gun go with a bolt. Marlins are easy to scope, it's practical if you're working up accuracy loads, but to my eye a scope on a lever action just don't look right. Aperture sights are a hoot, make for trim & easy carry, and let the rifle keep it's traditional lines. -- Kernel

Strabs-

Got any idea where to come up with a Winchester Classic Stainless in .308 yet??? I'm still looking. Any stainless .308s?

Sure the .30-06 is somewhat still available, but if I get another .30-06, I'll get smacked... Is/was stainless riflery just a fad?

The Kernel has got what I like- the tang sight... I like peeps in general- I have the Warne Rear Peep Base already to go for a Winchester Stainless...

Strabs,
See if you can find a Browning BLR. They look like a traditional lever action, but can handle more high pressure loads, and are more accurate than the older model lever guns due to the way the action locks up. One in .308 would be a good all around choice.

So many guns, so little time.
Bergie

[This message has been edited by bergie (edited March 24, 2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Strabs:
The time has arrived when I purchase a new gun. I've decided that it will be either a Marlin 336M (when they become available) or a Winchester (pre 64 type) in .308 or 30-06.
I am really attracted to the lever action, but the only reason I'm hesitant is because I'm not that familiar with the action mechanisms and their reliability and durability compared to a bolt action (they appear to have a lot more moving parts). I want this to be a rifle that can take some abuse(dirt, moisture, etc.)and still function very dependably. I know a bolt gun will always be more accurate than a lever, but other than that, accuracy will be dependant upon what I can make it.
Your ideas/opinions are appreciated.
[/quote]

Strongly consider The Browning BLR. It has the strongest lever action (rack and Pinion) which is conducive to accuracy and can be had in bolt action rifle calibers.Mine is in .308 and accuracy is outstanding.

Thanks for your opinios guys.

Debee, I did find one (Win. M70 classic stainless composite .308) at Gunsamerica.com with a Zeiss scope (brand new, 900.00 roughly). I haven't yet called to see if he'll sell w/o scope (or even if it's still avail.) why don't you check it out. I'm hoping when Winchester gets set up at new facility they will do more stainless short actions other than the featherweight.

Back