Opinions on trade

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetiredMajor

OK, I have a possible trade in mind. Here's the details. A new shooter bought a Keltic P3AT brand new a month ago. She asked me to teach her to shoot it. We spent an hour and half on the manual of arms and the range. Turns out she can't rack the slide and is uncomfortable with the gun. She has given up on it, so please don't ask me to work with her more. But, she loves my S&W 642. I bought it used about 5 or 6 years ago and it is in great condition. But, I never shoot it anymore and I won't carry it due to other options. Her Keltic is brand new with 25 round through it. I would give it as a gift to my youngest daughter. I hate the thought of letting go of the iconic 642, but it is a safe queen. I may ask for her Keltic and $200 for my used 642. Opinions?

The 642 will only go up in value.

The Keltec will not.
But only you can assess the rest of the deal.
Can your daughter rack it?

I'd never do it, but then again, if I had a 642, it wouldn't be a safe queen. My safe queens usually get traded off for something I will shoot and use. If that Kel-Tec will be shot and used in your family, and the 642 will be shot and used by her, I don't see what the problem is with the trade.

I can't speak to the relative vales, exactly, but I think you should do it if it means that she has something she will use and your daughter does, too, and you figure out a fair deal.

Your 642 is a great gun and iconic, but does no one any good sitting in the corner of a safe.

The Keltec's MSRP is $338.18(about $250 used, on Gunbroker) and is a low end firearm. MSRP on the 642 is $469(Start at $350ish used, on Gunbroker) and is not low end.
I don't think it'd be a good trade or good for your daughter. Nothing says she'd like a low end pistol either.

RetiredMajor said:
... please don't ask me to work with her more.
You don't have to work with her, but you might want to point her to moderator pax's website Cornered Cat. She has some excellent advice concerning the things your friend is having problems with including racking a semiauto slide.

I would not do it. FWIW, several of the women in my extended family chose J-Frame 38 Spcl. Smiths for themselves. I can think of 4 that chose the 642 specifically. They could have had anything they wanted. None chose a Kel-Tec of any kind........

I've done a few trades that I thought were worthwhile, but I've also had a few that I've regretted. That 642 can always be replaced if you decide you want another one. If I were mentoring a new shooter, I'm fairly certain they would be better off with that 642 than a Keltec P3AT.

Hey guys, thanks for the opinions. I'm not doing the trade. I feel bad for. She should not have bought the keltec. I'm going to take her to a local shop and help her select something that will work for her. She knows absolutely nothing and I feel the gun shop took advantage of her. Major

You can pick up a NIB 642 for around $350. The Kelttec NIB is going to run you $250. So if you can get her to make the deal your contemplating for your 5 or 6 year old 642 I would say your coming out ok if you really felt compelled to make the deal. Or you can do like already mentioned and suggest that she can sell her Keltec then explain that she can pick up the 642 on line for around $350, obviously FFL transfer fees need to be added to that.
Guess what I am getting at is you can gift it to your daughter and if she doesn't like it your not really out anything. You can sell the Keltec, by a NIB 642 if you desired to replace the one you traded and not be out a thing. This is just me thinkng out loud, take it for what its worth..:)

Last edited:
I would scrape together a couple hundred bucks and offer her cash for the Kel Tec and keep the 642. Don't think I could stomach trading a Smith for something plasticy..........

It seems several have missed this:
RetiredMajor said:
I'm not doing the trade. ... I'm going to take her to a local shop and help her select something that will work for her.

With that, we'll close this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back