Opinions on this LCP2 malfunction

pgb205

I am looking for my first carry gun. Possibly something small for pocket carry or else IWB holster. I would want size and weight to be as minimal as possible.

Reliability of a pistol beats every other consideration.

My choices are down to LCP2, Bodyguard and Shield. Based on the above concerns with weight and size LCP2 won and I was ready to buy when I saw the video below. Apparently pin coming out happened to more than a few people with this model. Obviously for CCW this would be a disaster, but I also wanted to hear people's opinions as I don't have enough experience to form my own. Do you think it's a design flaw or just this specific pistol that is faulty. If anyone has the LCP2: Is the pin held in place by something inside the gun??

Video here:
https://youtu.be/ecXCq0t4Ue8?t=6s

My choices are down to LCP2, Bodyguard and Shield.

Shield, or keep looking until you convince yourself to try a decent snubby .38.

As usual, standard disclaimers apply: IMHO & YMMV.

Bodyguard 380's I've handled or tried have been uninspiring. The LCP2 fixes things that mostly don't need to be fixed.

Last edited:
I believe the take down pin in the Ruger LCP has a groove going around it and a spring wire in the frame fits into the groove and that is what holds the pin in the gun and keeps it from walking out.

The LC9 has a similar setup but there is a lever covering the pin that must be pressed down for the pin to be removed. If the lever on the LC9 is not pushed down then the pin cannot come out of the gun.

Ruger posts the manuals for its firearms on line and if you download the manual you can look at the parts diagram and see how the take down pin is held into the gun by the 'take down pin detent'.

Note: Tandemkross makes a 'tool-less' replacement take down pin that does not require a screwdriver to remove it. Instead of having a groove all the way around the pin it has a cut only on one side. You can see it here:
https://www.tandemkross.com/Tool-less-Takedown-Pin-for-LCP_p_106.html

Last edited:
I'd skip the LCP2 and go with the 2nd generation LCP.

An original LCP, with the LCP Custom's sights, would address all the things I'd want changed. No need at all to lighten the trigger, especially to the point that the manufacturer felt the need to add a Glock-ish trigger safety.

I have an original LCP and have never had any issues with it. Easy to carry and very accurate as new up close and personal self defense gun.

As far as the video, perhaps the pin wasn't fully locked into place prior to shooting it?

Have you shot any of these models before? Or any pocket sized .380 for that matter? If not, I suggest that you find a range that rents them, or buddy that will let you shoot his, and try them out. Pocket sized .380's, while easy to conceal, are not particularly fun to shoot.

I've not had good experience with the Bodyguard. I shot two different guns a year apart and both times was struck with how awful the trigger was.

Couldn't tell you of they were accurate or not.

My wife has carried a purple framed LCP for a few years now with no issues. To me the pin is actually somewhat hard to pop out for disassembly. Its never walked out. My wife has fairly small hands so the LCP works well for her, but its too small for me to comfortably shoot.

Save your money for another paycheck or two and get a Sig P238. LCP's kind of are what they are; If I bought one I wouldn't be surprised if it had more frequent malfunctions relative to my other guns.

They are not really designed for frequent 200 round range trips, they are designed to be carried and used as an emergency tool and that's it. Assembly pins backing out sounds like the gun had quite a few rounds put through it. It happens; the trigger pin on my CZ 75 used to walk out a bit until I put an aftermarket one in to fix the problem.

Last edited:
@natekirk. I have considered P238 as well. Price is not really a concern I am only worried about reliability. With P238 it looks like tiny 1911: very jagged. I'm concerned how easy it'll be to carry.

The SAS version of the P238 has the edges rounded. It carries nicely and shoots great. FWIW, comparisons to a 1911 only carry as far as it being a single action designed to be carried cocked and locked. Disassembly is different with no barrel bushing. No grip safety. And with the safety on, the slide can still be manipulated. The latter is a very nice feature; you can clear and load the little guy with the safety on. If cost is no object as you say, I would try to shoot one before you decide. The little Sig shoots like a bigger gun, much more comfortable, and for many more accurate, than similarly sized polymer models.

I have considered P238 as well. Price is not really a concern I am only worried about reliability. With P238 it looks like tiny 1911: very jagged. I'm concerned how easy it'll be to carry.

I carry the P238 nearly everyday and it has never been a hindrance. Very easy to hide, very soft shooting for a .380 this size, it's a quality little handgun. Everything Tailgator said above is correct as well. I highly recommend them.

My advice would be to get a 9mm for your first carry. I have a Shield and love it. I wouldn't change that. NOW, I am looking for a pocket gun when I wish to wear clothing that makes concealing the Shield troublesome. I am planning to purchase the Ruger LCP2 for my pocket carry gun. I have seen many videos including Hickock 45 and everyone seems to love the gun and give it high reviews. I haven't heard of anyone complaining about the pin in the LCP2, but who knows, it's fairly new. I'm sure if it is an issue, Ruger will be addressing it soon. They are known for quality. But Like I said, for your first carry gun, I'd go with the Shield 9mm. Easy to conceal in most situations, better fire power, nice to shoot, reliable, everything you could want in a first carry gun.

Back