Opinions on the Single Six

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnemeth

What kind of accuracy can I expect from a Ruger Super Single-Six? I've gotten some mixed reports about what the gun is capable of. It would be used mostly at a range for general target shooting. This would be my second handgun, my first is a 686+.

Thanks
christopher Nemeth

Hi! cnemeth,

I've had a couple of those. The Ruger Super Single Six tends to be a well made and fairly accurate piece. You might want to try a couple different brands of ammo to find the most accurate for your gun. I've averaged about 1 1/2" to 2" from a rest at 25 yds. Of course my eyes aren't as good as they use to be. By the way, I think Rugers tolerances are machined a little too tight. If not kept clean they will bind up from unburned powder on the face of the cylinder. But I've always enjoyed Ruger's Single Six's, they are a lot of fun.

I just put 600 rounds thru my Ruger GP 100 yester day with out any problems. Never seen a single six though.

------------------
Guns don't kill people, people kill people !

So far mine does an average of 1.47 with its favorite .22 LR load and around 1.75 for its favorite .22 mag load. This is for four five shot groups averaged at 25 yds from a rest. They shoot just fine. I love the way this gun feels and handles. Buy one. I wish I had bought one twenty years sooner.

They are fun to shoot. As for accuracy there are better choices, but a Ruger is a gun you can throw against a wall and it still will shoot.

I've got an old model (pre 1973) and I've had a new model in the past and can say it's a good shooter. No, it's not a competition gun, but then again you're not spending that kind of money either.

I have a lot of fun with my "Single-Six" and shoot it about once a week. I think it's a good solid revolver and a good addition to any battery.

------------------
TJS

I agree with the comments above. Mine is a 60's vintage - fun to shoot, accurate, and just plain feels good in my hand. I have the additional .22 WMR cylinder, but have never used it.

------------------
Regards - AZFred

If you already have a 686+, why not get a 617 (6 or 10 shot) which will handle almost identically to your centerfire gun. I just did that and like the results. Same grips, sights, lockwork, just a little less noise/recoil/cost.

I am thinking about the 617, but I was thinking of getting a SA revolver or a semi-auto for my 2nd gun. I live in NYC and it can be a slow process buying additional handguns. Because of this I'd like something a little different for my second handgun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back