Opinions on the $99 Type 53's for sale at SOG

wnycollector

I'm interested at picking up two Type 53's that SOG currently has for sale. Has anyone bought one from them recently? If so, what was its condition? I'm looking for decent shooters for my teenage son's. Also is it worth the extra $10 for a handpick?

I've never been disappointed in anything I've bought from SOG, I've usually spent the few extra bucks for the handpick, so I don't really have a frame of reference to "if I didn't".

I bought a T-53 from them about six months ago (the $99 one) and the stock was really beat up. Not quite firewood, but evident it could have dug some trenches. Blueing was in pretty good shape, no pitting on the rifle or the bore (which surprised me, I was expecting it below the wood line at least)- when I pushed the cosmoline plug out of the bore it had quite a bit of shine and the rifling was good. I haven't shot it, as I bought it strictly to run bent bolts through to check for fit and cycling before sending them out to customers.

They have some with "hairline cracked stocks" for $80...
Given the condition that T-53 stocks normally come in (even the $99 ones may have hairline cracks that have been repaired), it might not be a bad idea to get one of these if you're not looking for a "collectible" grade rifle.

If I ever want to get a really nice condition T-53, I think I'd make sure I could inspect before buying. The vast majority have wood in poor condition.

Tobnpr thanks for sharing your experience. I think I may just grab two matching number Tula 91/30's at SOG. My son's will get a better rifle, that is easier on the shoulder and hopefully appreciate in value in the coming years.

Also is it worth the extra $10 for a handpick?
Not for me it didn't. Several years ago, me and a guy I work with bought Yugo SKS's at the same time. I paid the $10 for handpick and all it bought me was a rifle that had a gross-oversized chamber that split case necks and wouldn't eject. My friend's rifle shot quite well. I've been sour on Yugo SKS's ever since... and $10 handpick fees too.

The hand picked only means they pull 10 guns from the crate, and send you the one they think looks best. Nothing is done to check headspace, etc.

Back