opinions on the 320 home defender?

xcracer160

exactly what the title says i picked up a pistol grip pump home defender320 just for a cheap truck gun for coyotes mostly, and brand new 185 bucks couldnt really go wrong so lets hear your opinions?

I purchased one also. About 300 rounds so far without a problem. I know that's not a great test but that's all I have for now. The only negative thing I will say is the "butt stock" mine has the pistol grip coming down from the stock like yours I guess, but the thing is really cheap feels like if i drop it it will crack, it's hollow inside and if you take it off you will see how thin it is. I am going to get some other kind of stock ( don't know what kind yet not a lot to choose from that would fit.) But I think the shotgun overall is going to be ok. Lets put it this way, it's as good or better than any of the other inexpensive brands out there. You are going to have your 870 Rem. and Mossberg guys getting on you now, saying for just a little bit more money you could have one of them. Which you can, but the way I look at it mines just an inexpensive knock around gun that I have less that $200.00 in so if something major happens or it get's stolen no big loss. Just my thoughts.

The 320 is pretty much a Chinese part for part clone of the Winchester 1300 which is one of the best pump-guns out there IMO. With the only exception being the stock. The Winchester has that triangle cut where the stock joins the receiver whereas the 320 is straight. May fit 870 or Mossberg stocks but I can't say or sure.

The one issue I often hear with these is the cheap spot-weld joining the pump tube(the part the plastic forend fits over) tot he action bars. When that weld breaks it pretty much leaves your gun inoperable with no way to cycle the action. You pretty much got 3 remedies for that.

1) When it breaks, send it back to Savage for repair or replacement. But they're just going to send it back to you with the same crappy spot-weld that broke in the first place.
2) Some people re-weld it themselves with a much stronger weld which seems to fix the issue.
3) Being a clone of the 1300 all parts are interchangeable, so you can just hunt down a 1300 forend assembly and call it a day.

Nickel Plated I have heard but can not confirm that they have corrected that problem on the newer ones being shipped now.

Wouldn't know if it has been fixed in recent manufacture. But just something I kept hearing about them. Not that it matters now since OP already bought the gun. But atleast he now knows what to do if it ever happens. Hopefully not when his life depends on it. Perhaps it would be a good idea to find a local welder and nip that problem in the bud right now so you don't have to worry about it at a less opportune time.

Back