Opinions on Taurus 608?

Shmackey

Just discovered this .357 full-sized revolver. Seems like it's Taurus's answer to Ruger's GP100 series. It has an 8-shot cylinder.

Now, I know that Taurus isn't exactly known for the best guns, but this isn't an auto at least. Anyone have any first-hand experience?

Oh yeah...

Before the current California "safe gun testing" law went into effect, I had an opportunity to buy a 608 with a 2 1/2" barrel, bright stainless, DAO. It languished in a local gun dealer's display for over a year and the price was down to about $200. I coulda had it and I really wanted it.

Oh well-Taurus doesn't make 'em like that any more and you can't get 'em here anyway, because Taurus hasn't had them tested for sale here.

I still kick myself that I didn't buy it!!!!

I think an eight shot revolver is a valid concept. It is however, a large and heavy 357 magnum. It tips the scales at 45ozs I believe and has the same frame as their 44 magnum.
IMO, it would be a good piece for the woods but a little big and heavy for around town. Best Regards, J. Parker

After much research, I bought a 608 two months ago. After about 500 rds of an even mix of .357 and 38 spl, it is very comfortable to shoot.

I still have a lot to work on in the accuracy department (me, not the gun). But last range session I was in the 8 ring @ 25 yds. from a two hand stance. The recoil and muzzle flip is very mild. Just for the heck of it I fired of about 20 or so rounds single handed and was still not bothered by any recoil.

The workmanship is very good as well. I just now polished the cylinder release pin to get rid of a little 'hitch' when the crane was rotated out. But other than that, it shows all the signs of a well made weapon. I thought the grips were going to be too narrow, but they turned out to be just right in my case.

Like J. Parker said, it is heavy when put on the scales. But the funny thing is, it's so well balanced the when you're aiming/firing the weight is not an issue. The best comparison I can make is like using a large but well-balanced chain saw; the weight kind of works to your advantage.

John

As a very happy 605 owner, I'd think the 608 would be a fine choice. The pros to the 608 are the extra rounds, where the 605 is more concealable. (I carry concealed.) Like Phideaux, I find the Taurus line very comfortable to shoot. I've tried comperable Rugers that feel like you are hitting a steel lamp post with an aluminum baseball bat. The S&Ws are nice, but a different price range.

As far as some who say Taurus is an inferior product, I haven't noticed that at all. Although I've had mine only a short time, I've shot a 1000 -1500 rounds through it and it still seems very accurate and as sturdy as the day I bought it..

Sometimes I do long for those extra 3 rounds though!

Let us know what you decide.

M608

I also have an M605. When I carry a revolver this is the one I have. I would think that the 608 would be good too. Tarurs does better with their revolvers!! ;)

I have a 627 tracker in ss w/ 6" barrel that has done very well for me with about 2000 rounds through it. It is very accurate and while only holding 7 rounds vs. 8 in the 608 I like the taurus line of revolvers. love the ribber grip

I bought one a long time ago when they first came out. It was stainless steel with a ported barrel (2 1/2"). I sold the gun because it was a bit too big for a .357 if that makes sense. A compact barrel on a .44 mag frame just didn't appeal to me after time. I sold it to my uncle who claims he has never owned a better gun.

I currently own one and it is my most accurate pistol so far. IT is built on their full size frame and the kick is very mild in my opinion.

I didn't know they made a 2" barrel. I only thought they had a 4, 6, 8 inch barrels. Most are going for around $325-$350 which is very inexpensive.

One of my favorites.

Back