Opinions on stainless 1858 buffalo model

While shopping at LGS I noticed that they have a Pietta 1858 buffalo. It is stainless and comes with three cylinders. Asking price is $299. I don't need it, have 1858s, 1851s, ROA etc.
Are these guns good shooters? Is it worth the price?
Probably won't shoot it much, and would cut into my budget for a 5.56 scoped bolt gun. But the cap and ball addiction is a tough thing to overcome.
Have not handled it yet, only looked at it.
So anyone have one? Shot one?

Where is this shop? I've been looking for a steel framed Pietta Buffalo and that's a very reasonable price. Online you can get the blued Buffalo for $360 at Buffaloarms and on gunbroker the stainless Buffalo's are extremely rare and usually come with a sky high starting bid when they do show up.

Without having a look at the bore, I wouldn't know whether it's worth it or not. If it's clean, buy it, if not... idk. The cylinders alone are worth at least $150 depending on condition.

But yeah, tell me where that shop is in the Berkshires, it may be worth the drive.

I’ve thought a steel framed Buffalo with a shoulder stock would be pretty cool. Other than using it as a primary weapon from a blind it seems too unwieldy.

That is an exceptional price.

There’s a fellow on another forum who’s company sells the steel framed Buffalo. I created a thread asking for info and will place it here once I get a response. His price seemed very reasonable compared to others as I recall.

My opinion is similar to many here. I want it.

Buy it!

I almost bought an 1858 carbine replica last weekend at a local gun show. If I hadn't just bought a rolling block replica I would have walked home with it...

So I got to inspect the gun today. Overall, very nice. Finish is very nice. Bore is very bright with the exception of a couple blemishes about 1/4-1/3 from the muzzle. Not really pitted, just (IMO) slight oxidation. For the shooting I do this would not stop me from purchasing the gun. Extra cylinders came with strong black leather belt pouches. Action seemed tight and strong.
I'm going to pass on this one. Just doesn't really do anything for me, and would cut into my budget for a rifle I'm looking at.

Uhhh, dude, from the sound of things...

Why not just buy it and flip it? You could play with it for a month or two, and see if you end up liking it. If not, list it on Gun Broker or Arms List (should be less hassle to ship since it's black powder). From the sound of things here you may end up making a couple hundred bucks on it. Then you won't be hurting your rifle fund, you'll be helping it!

Back