Opinions on S&W 686+?

Kobra

I found a used 686+ with a 6" barrel at the local store. I believe is was $360. What's the general opinion on these? It appears to be in good shape but needs a serious cleaning - I always question why people trade in real dirty guns, and then why this dealer never cleans them himself.

Greeting's Kobra,

Lot's of times dealer's either don't have the time, or don't take the time to clean-up trade
in's.:( This results in lot's of firearms in
relatively good shape remaining on dealer's shelves for long periods of time. Sometime's
a very careful prospective buyer can find some
really good deal's because of this.:)

Now, to addressing your concerns on the ~ & ~
686+. Most of the info I have gathered here at
TFL indicate's that most owner's adore this weapon.:D I have a 686 w/6" tube, but it's a
six-shooter. Guess, I'm just too damn old fashioned; when it come's to seven and eight
shot cylinders? For the most part, these are
highly accurate firearms; often times shooting
as if it were a rifle. And in closing, one would
be amazed at how small a target one can hit, over
rather long distances.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

MOLON LABE!!!

I have been saying for years that the two best pistols available in .357 Magnum are the S&W 686 and the Ruger GP 100 series. Which is better is up to your personal tastes. I have shot both a great deal and I can say both are great.

Personally, I like the 686+ w/6" barrel quite a bit and nearly bought one (long story...). The ones I borrowed and shot with were very accurate, had great trigger pulls, and were well made. Make the gun dealer clean it up first, though.

I've got a Stainless 686 with 4 inch barrel and it's a pretty accurate shooter.

Thinking about getting a 686+ but I undertand S & W Quality is still a bit shaky since they've been under boycott.

I'm waiting for a while to see how the new Owners of Smith are gonna run things.....If all is well, I'll get one of those and one of these and maybe one of those over there too...:D

I own both S&W 686 6 in and 4 in and Python 4 in.
I use to favor the Python (best trigger in the business) but as of late I believe the Smith is very close and the 686 is extremely durable. Although I shoot mostly full load 44 mags in a Smith 629 I think the Smith 686 357 may be the best "all purpase" revolver made.
Herb

Several years ago purchased a 686 with an 8 3/8" barrel and
a 4 way adjustable front sight.

Using 148 gr. wad-cutters, was able to produce some very
accurate groups at the time.

While I realize most shooters buy this model for the .357
capabilities, by going the other way with wc's, it can prove to
be a very accurate plinker. JMHO.

Robby

Great gun

The 686+ is a great revolver, I specifically like the 6" barreled version the best. The out of box trigger pull on my 686+ 6" is fantastic, and it really is very accurate. My only complaint is that the cylinder sometimes locks up during shooting (which prevents it from firing), but I think it is a rare occurance and most 686+ owners probably will not have this happen to them.

Back