Opinions on S&W 40VE

eagleye

Anyone have any experience with these pistols? Would like good side and bad side of these guns.

------------------
"An armed society is a polite society"

Bought one on dealer's advice. Hated it. Kick way out of proportion to cartridge, sandy-feeling loooong trigger, lame sights.

I'd suggest a Glock, if you're into that design.

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

Sigmas are not for everyone, but I like them. Mine is the original SW40F full size with 15 rd mags, not the newer SW40VE. I'm not sure if the improvements are for the better or just part of the settlement of Glock's lawsuit. The trigger gets easier eventually, and the shape fits my hand. Try several if you can, new triggers can be a little stiff. These are not fussy target guns, so they feed everything reliably and always go bang upon request.

------------------

Coinneach, I found your experience interesting as one of the gun rags, I forget which one, just did an article on the gun. The writer ranted and raved about how great of a gun it is. Just goes to show.

Frank

I like my Sigma. It rates a solid average. It is by no means my favorite handgun, but it is a great car/travel gun: no corrosion, not too big to stick in the map compartment in the driver's door, easy availability of hicap mags (2 of those babies and you're well armed!). Accuracy is average.

Smith/Wesson service is a good point. Availability of aftermarket lights--good. Simplicity of DA trigger--good.

This is not a good competition gun--face it. You want COM accuracy for home protection, auto? Good, solid choice for 200 less than a Glock!

I wouldn't hesitate to recommended one to a friend for this purpose. In fact, I have.

(cash price 280 at Fort Worth gun show a few months ago, Doc Walther)

I've carried my Sigma for several months now and really like it a lot. I find it fits my hand well and the point is natural and quick for me. I like the trigger and am used to it and like the DAO system. It's also the most accurate of the handguns I shoot (of six) including several that cost a lot more. I work at being accurate and quick with it since it is my carry. I also carry two 15rd mags with. I'd highly recommend the gun as a great value.

Guys, I put 500 rounds of everything I could find through my 40VE in two weeks. The trigger never smoothed out, it never got easier for me to handle, and every time I fired it, I cursed the dealer who told me how great it was.

Perhaps I just got a lemon, I don't know. I've heard identical problems from other Sigma owners, so I'm guessing S&W's QC is spotty. I'll stick with Glocks, thankyaverymuch.

------------------
"The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resists it."
-- John Hay, 1872

I have both the S&W 40VE and the 9VE the 40 is now just shy of 3500 rounds and the 9 is at about 2600. I found that they are a great little gun, the trigger is a little more than I like about 8 pounds. I have never had a problem with either of them.

------------------
ACCEPT NOTHING LESS THAN FULL VICTORY!"

General Dwight D. Eisenhower-- June 6,1944
------------------------

http://www.homestead.com/gunrights/Guns_and_Gunrights.html

Back