Opinions on Ruger Mini Thirty ?

mhannah1

Anybody out there have any experience and/or opinions on the Ruger Mini Thirty versus other choices in 7.62x39mm

Hmm.... Both are gas operated, semi-auto rifles. One has a detachable magazine and the other is fixed (with the exception of a short import run for the other). The Ruger is lighter.

While I like Rugers firearms in general, since we're talking about the same caliber, for the money, I'd get an SKS. Besides, which is cheaper if you were to accidentally drop it at camp?

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

The Ruger Mini 30 has a bore which accepts standard 7.62 x 39 ammo (which has .311" bullets), then tapers down to .308". It squishes the .311" bullets down to .308". This helps it accurately fire .308" bullet commonly used by reloaders in the U.S.

I'm not sure how this affects accuracy with both sizes of bullet.

High capacity magazines are getting a bit pricey for the Ruger. They're still fairly cheap for the AK/MAK 90.

Koski

The Mini-30 is bored for American SAAMI standards - .308 diameter.

The Eurpoean military 7.62X39 the we enjoy shooting so cheaply, has a bullet diameter of .311

If you shoot the Eurpoean stuff you will wear the barrel rifling much faster and further contribute to the Mini's already marginal accuracy.

If you like the gun, stick with the Mini-14 instead - IMO.

CMOS

I was concerned with the answers that indicated that the mini 30 barrel tapers down to .308 and that shooting 7.62x39mm ammo(.311) would cause premature wear on the barrel, so I called Ruger and they said that the barrel would accept anything from .3100 to .3115... however the lady I talked to said she would have an engineer call me back with more info.....waiting for call back

mhannah1......did you find out anything from the enginers at ruger concerning the barrel inside dia./taper of the mini 30.I am looking to buy one also ,but don't want it if I can't shoot imported ammo....thanx

In the owners manual that came with my Mini30 it to use only 7.62x39 ammo. Now I did run into a an old Army guy at the range who said that if he wants to shoot for real accuracy he uses quality .308 ammo. I use only the 7.62x39 russian stuff (ok, I'm cheap :)) and can shoot 2-3 inch groups at a hundred yards. To me that is acceptable. BTW, I could not shoot that well with the standard Ruger rear site. I bought an Ashley aperture site that mounts in place of the original that is easily adjustable for windage and elevation. It is also pretty beefy. After using the aperture site I sold the scope I was using as past 150 yards I prefer my AR or FAL for accuracy. My Mini30 has about 3000 rounds through it and has performed flawlessly with a minimum of maintenance. The only hi cap mags I have found that worked perfect all] the time were some genuine Thermold 30 rounders. These are not the clear plastic Eagle thermomolded mags, but real Thermolds. I have not been satisfied with anything else I used.

With a muzzle brake the Mini30 is a very controlable rifle, is small and compact, and is "PC" looking (at least until you stick a 30 round mag in it). New, they aren't real cheap. $450-$550. But if you look around at gun shows and are willing to hagle you can get below $400 I believe. And ammo is cheap and plentiful too. Not having used an SKS I can't give a comparison. But I would say this, if you are going to keep it in your car and get pulled over and searched, it looks less "evil" that an SKS, AK or AR.

MHO

I have a mini-30 ranch and have been very happy with it. I also use the russian surplus ammo. No, it's not a tack driver, but as a defensive rifle it's fine. Accuracy is acceptable and I've never had any problems out of it. Looking back, I should have gotten the standard version with decent iron sights as I'm starting to question scopes on what is basicly a 100 yd rifle. But, I bought it used at a good price so I'll live with it.

Have NOT heard back from Ruger yet. I may try calling again tomorrow..but my neighbor is willing to sell me an SKS (chinese) for $150.00, and he has several to choose from (used to have a FFL) and he will let me try them out to find the best one...so I'll probably go that way...if I drop it, I wont be dropping a $400.00-500.00 rifle.
Appreciate everyones replys and opinions.
THANKS !

Back