Opinions on Remington Steal by Scattergun Tech?

TCW

Has anyone ever had an 870 refurbished by Scttergun technologies(Wilson Combat)? They call it "Remington Steal" and they:

Replace all worn and/or damaged parts

Convert to 3"

Convert shell feed to flexitab anti-jam system

Shorten barrel (if requested) to 12.5", 14" or 18" and install new front sight base and bead (NFA Laws Apply)

Install new spring and follower

Install new synthetic butt stock and foregrip

Replace safety with current design

Strip and parkerize all external parts

All for $169.
What do you think?

Thanks!

Strip and polymer coat trigger group

All those things are not bad ideas, but....

Synthetic stocks I like on bolt action rifles, but getting one to replace perfectly good shotgun wood doesn't ring my chimes.

Most of the rest can be done by the owner at the kitchen table. 870s come apart like Mattell toys, it takes no smith to drop in another mag spring, if indeed one is needed. And little more expertise to change a safety.

I ran a thread here a little while ago asking if anyone had trouble with plastic parts on shotguns. No 870 problems with the standard follower were reported.

The Flextab setup is probably a good idea,a 3" chamber is good for versatility but there's few times a 3" load will do what a 2 3/4" load will not. Exceptions include turkey loads and steel loads for waterfowl, and these shotguns are used for other things.

All in all, these changes are good, but some are not needed, some can be done by the owner, and my inclination would be to save the money and do it myself.

At the same time, I doubt anyone that goes to Wilson for this will get $%^&*ed really bad, so it's up to you.

it's a better deal than their stock shotguns. they have been shipped with the key-lock safety. which considering the price, is totally unacceptable.

Hey Dave McC,,,what exactly is the flex tab system, and what does it do, Ive heard of it but dont really know what it is all about,,,Thanks!!

Back