Opinions on new Colt Cobra sought...

Stainz

I am considering the new Colt Cobra, a SS 2" barrel .38 Spcl +P rated six-shooter. Does anyone have one yet? What do they go for now? Thanks!

Stainz

I have only held one at my LGS.

Like many, when Colt made the announcement I was pumped and really looked forward to seeing one in person. If nothing else, as a revolver first kinda guy, I was not only happy to see Colt back in the game again but happy to see another revolver being produced for the masses (was happy to see Kimber enter the ring as well).

I have to admit after holding it, examining it closely up and down, and looking at the price tag dangling off the trigger guard (did not fire it), I was very underwhelmed. Disappointed. For the price, I would much rather get 1.5 or 2 used K frames and in my opinion have a better gun(s).

Only my opinion, of course, and I would be interested in what others might say on the subject.

Last edited:
For ddc, I wish it had an alloy frame like the original Cobra instead of steel. The new "Cobra" seems like a nice, modern rendition of the original Detective Special snub-nose revolver.

Well, I bought a new one anyhow. It feeds fine from an HKS #10 speedloader but it's over-molded Hogue backstrap covering absorptive rubber grips are K-frame size, making pocket-carry problematic. So much for it replacing my 642 as a pocketable CCW. I/O WB holster carry will have to do. Empty, it's just over a half pound heavier than the 642 - not bad for a SS revolver! It's +P .38 Spcl rating will be used - I have some Remington R38S12 158gr LHPSWC +P for it to carry. It's DA pull is about as smooth and stout as my well broken in 642 is now, with a crisp release - also in SA. I like it's red FO front sight - it's easily viewed in subdued light. I'll check it's POA/POI with a couple of different types of ammo next week. It's my first Colt... whoever made it!

For ddc, I wish it had an alloy frame like the original Cobra instead of steel. The new "Cobra" seems like a nice, modern rendition of the original Detective Special snub-nose revolver.
I wish they would bring back the Detective Special similar to it's last generation model. I would be the first in line to buy one. Perhaps they might if sales of the new Cobra are successful?

However, my guess is response will be underwhelming given today's obsession with all things semi-auto and with everybody else still looking for a revolver not willing to pay more then $500 for one and Colt will discontinue it after a couple years. Even the Revolver guys who should know better will bulk at the price and/or complain about how it's not like the old Colt Revolvers and blah, blah, blah. Then 10 years from now they will all be kicking themselves in the rear for not buying one when they had the chance after prices quadruple and talking about what a great revolver it really was. :rolleyes:

I, for one, am not going to be one of those guys and I intend to help Colt out with a new Cobra purchase in the near future. :cool:

Last edited:
After examining one of the new Colt's in detail I must say I am quite impressed with what they are offering. The pistol is definitely not like prior heavily machined Colt or S&W products but is in fact a wonderful example of firearms made on modern machinery and techniques.
Unfortunately I have not as yet fired the weapon and having so many that fill that nitch already perhaps I shall not make a purchase. Hopefully this will be a groundbreaker for Colt and other revolver offerings are in the future, Colt has and continues to tighten the belt to provide quality products for Americans.

Over-priced, clunky is appearance as are most Colts when compared to the smooth, sexy lines of a Smith, and lacking adjustable sights. But I'm glad Colt is making the effort to offer something in a revolver line.
YMMV, just JMHO, Rod (beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder).

I hate ugly guns!!!!:cool:

But wait, I have LCR's which I consider beautiful.
Yes, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

I like the looks of the new Kimber K6s better.

I dug out the May 2017 'American Rifleman' last night, the one with the new Cobra on the front cover. The nerve of the NRA to shamelessly show a revolver on the AR cover! Well, that planted a seed in my mind - I had to have it. Does anyone know whether the black/grey G10 grips it sports on the front cover exist in stock anywhere now? I believe they were custom grips when the article was written.

Also - I am a dyed-in-the-wool S&W-guy - the only Ruger I have left now is the Old Army cap & ball. I find the new Cobra looks 'appropriate' for it's designed use. It isn't a target gun - adjustable sights aren't needed (Hopefully!). It's rounded/eased for holster use - a 'good thing', for sure. I like it's looks... but then, I liked my first-ever DA capable revolver - my early Ruger 7.5" .454 SRH (So much for my taste!). Of course, my first-ever S&W - my 625 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt - is still the most handsome S&W I own (The Ahrends grips help!).

Does anyone know whether the black/grey G10 grips it sports on the front cover exist in stock anywhere now? I believe they were custom grips when the article was written.
I would be interested to know that as well. I saw some grips in the latest Pachmayr catalog that resemble those on the Colt on the cover of AR, but they were for S&W and Taurus revolvers, not for the Cobra. I wonder if they were the makers of those grips?

Last edited:
Well if you're gonna put a set of oversized rubber grips on a small framed revolver you may as well carry a full sized revolver.

Back