Opinions on Jerry Miculek wood grips

Samuel

Inactive
They would be for a S&W 686 with 2.5 inch barrel rd butt. I have small to medium hands and the grips with grooves never feel just right. Thanks for any opinions.

They seem to work for him, however grips on a revolver i have found to be a very personal thing. I personally like Houges, but i have largeish hands. I guess the easiest way would be go to a local gunshop and handle all the revolvers you can with the different grips, hopefully they will have something simular to the Miculek grips on one of there six shooters there, otherwise it is a roll of the dice. Look at it this way, if you don't like them someone else will so you can sell them with only a minor loss.

My 627 PC came with a pair but I found them to be a bit small for me. Switched to a pair of Altamounts for a fuller grip. Makes me wonder what size hands JM has or whether there's some tactical advantage involved with the smaller grips that I don't know about.
Ronin

Samuel,

My PC 625 came with a pair of HIS style laminated grips on it.

I shot it exactly once with those grips. I've never had a set of grips hurt me so much!!! The filler material behind the trigger guard has a sharp transition area. It dug into the top of my middle finger on every shot. That was with only moderate target loads!!

All my revolvers wear Hogue rubber grips, and the pretty Miculek stocks are taking up space in the parts bin.

Good Luck...

Joe

I have to agree. Grips are a very personal thing. I prefer wood over rubber for the feel and the looks. Check out this link for some pics of grips. http://www.sixguns.com/galleries/grips.html
Click on the pic for a better look.

Herrett's and Blumagnum make some good grips. The Herrett detective should be right up your alley. The Herrett's are custom made and sized to fit your hand.

Personally, I have a set of Blumagnums that are on the way, and I can not wait to get my hands on them. Sling Shot

As above, YMMV.
Jerry uses those because they fit his hands and it allows him to adjust his grip if it is not right on the initial draw. (What he said.)

They do not fit me as well as the Spegel. My 3" M657 has wood; my 4" and 6" M657s have Hogue rubber. Even the Spegel are tiresome after 50 rounds. But they conceal better than rubber.

Wood grips are not much of a problem on .45s and .38s, but on any magnum I think the rubber helps.

In the end, it is whatever feels best and works for you.:rolleyes:

On the 625-5-- -

I'd tried two or three type stocks on my pre-ban .45 Colt Mountain Gun and wasn't entirely satisfied with any of 'em. I really don't like finger grooves, and the Pachmayrs I had on it were okay, but had a bit too much cling for concealed carry.

Elder Son apparently noticed me asking another contestant at a Dallas Pistol Club plate match where he'd gotten his stocks--really pretty wood in a very pleasing design. They were Miculek style, as sold by Wilson. Matt gave me a set for my next birthday, and I'm really happy with them. The top left side, where it meets the frame tended to abrade second joint of my thumb after a hundred rounds or so, and needed a little polishing.

Best,
Johnny

Back