Opinions on importance of specific ammo choices?

cornered rat

If we were to take all shooting incidents, military and others, randomly mix the ammo used and replay them, how different do you think outcomes would have been?

Example, would swapping 115gr and 147gr JHPs make any *significant* difference in terminal performance?

------------------
Cornered Rat
http://dd-b.net/RKBA RKBA posters
http://dd-b.net/olegv Portrait, nature photos

Maybe I can get my dad to relate the story of the incident that made him decide that 95g Super Vel 9mm was maybe not enough. That would be applicable, right? But, not my story to tell.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

To clarify my post: I am of opinion that bullet choice, esp. in handguns, accounts for little in real-life&death situations, as long as the ammo feeds reliably. I might have a preference for 158gr .38 vs. 110gr, but doubt it matters much.

Any counter-arguments?

Buy "Handgun Stopping power" it goes into detail on actual shooting incidents. They rate bullets on their "One shot stopping power" It covers the subject in detail....Steve

I have no LE or military background and am no means an expert(but am getting better thanks to you guys ;) ). Anyway IMHO:
PLACEMENT, PLACEMENT, PLACEMENT

------------------
Adapt, Innovate, Overcome

Don't know about on people as all of my experience has been on game animals, mostly deer. There is a big difference in the stopping power, not in the weight of the bullet, but in it's construction. What has always worked best for me is a copper jacketed hollow point. You want the bullet to enter, penatrate to the vital organs and then just sort of explode. The copper jacket keeps the bullet together long enough to reach the vital areas and the hollow point causes the bullet to expand and in most cases actually splinter into several different fragements.

I tried using solid steel jacket and copper without the hollow point and it caused a lot of problems. More often than not the bullet did not do enough damage to bring the animal down fast. Ended up having to track them for miles. When cutting the deer up the full jacketed rounds were still intact. Whereas with the hollow points, most of the time it is a clean kill, where the deer is dead by the time I got to them. Also the bullet had mushroomed to about twice its normal diameter with several fragments going off into different directions.

I'm not an expert by any means. This is just from my experience and that of fellow hunters.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Richard

The debate is not about guns,
but rather who has the ultimate power to rule,
the People or Government.
RKBA!

Back