Opinions on Gen 2 glock 23

hogwiley

I'm looking for a glock 19/23 size gun and a came across a lightly used gen 2 glock 23. In 9mm you have the gen 5 but for .40 it's the only glock you can get that doesn't have finger grooves.

I've heard mixed things about the gen 2's in .40. Criticisms are that they weren't as durable as later .40 glocks. The grips are slippery compared to later glocks(which is why most people used some aftermarket grips or grip tape). Then theres the kaboom thing, although that's a non issue to me since I don't reload. Then theres' the lack of a light rail, which isn't a big deal to me. Plus theres the half moon cut out at the bottom of the grip which I see as a slight negative.

Percieved positives are that they are free of the later extraction/ejection issues that have sometimes plagued later glocks, the parts are all non mim, and glock manufacturing and quality control was better around this time.

I'm wondering what other people here think about the gen 2 glock 23's. The gun im looking at would cost about the same as a new glock, so I wouldn't be saving any money.

You should be able to find a gen 2 23 for about $300-$350. Whoever is trying to sell you one for the same price as a new one is trying to screw you.

That being said, if you can find one for the correct price, I’d have no reservations with getting a gen 2.

It would cost slightly more than a new blue label glock. Around 450. The gen 2 is also pretty much like new. Its certainly not a great deal. But like new gen 2 glocks don't grow on trees.

Just wondering what opinions are on the gen 2 23's. I've heard some people say the newer .40s are better in every way, but I kind of like the novelty of having an old school glock. I also like that I can put a hogue grip on it and not have to worry about the finger grooves. My brother had a gen 3 with a hogue and the stock finger grooves kind of ruined how it fit. It did soak up felt recoil a lot tho.

I go out of my way to buy gen 2’s. Since you don’t reload, the newer barrels are a moot point. If you’re really worried about it you could get an aftermarket barrel that has better case support. I don’t like finger grooves. I put bicycle inner tube on all my plastic guns. Unless you have some sort of love affair with buying a like new glock, I would get a gen 2 beater. It’s a glock, not a high end gun. Police trade in glocks are still out there...

I just read about a 6 part upgrade that's recommended for gen 2 glocks, including the extractor. Is this really necessary? Is it something you do on your gen 2's?

Gen 2 Glock 23s are excellent guns. They have a top notch tennifer metal treatment and a very nice black finish...perhaps Glock's best of the Gen 1-4 finishes. The only real Gen 2 weak point is the two diameter slide lock spring which you can replace with a beefier Gen 3 spring, part no. 2317, for $3 and 30 seconds of your time, ( YouTube videos depict the procedure). Enjoy your Glock 23!

Back