Opinions on Delta Elite

Vek

I'm not exactly auto-friendly, but i do eventually want a 1911 type. There's a Delta Elite at a local pawnshop and they're asking 475. The finish is excellent and it doesn't seem to have seen much use (minor holster wear). What's the story on these? Is a 10mm too much for a 1911 platform?

Thanks,

Hello. First, I have never owned a Delta Elite or any 10mm; I'm just not a fan of the round. I will relate what I've observed with a couple of friends who own and shoot Delta Elites.

First, they both love the guns. The time or two that I've shot them, they were reliable and accurate. I was shooting the full-house Norma loads and recoil was sharper than with .45ACP.

It's my understanding that certain factory loads in 10mm are no hotter than .40 S&W and I'd guess that you could shoot these practically forever as the pressure would likely be lower, or at least not spike up as fast as with the forty.
If you felt the need, you could use one of the full power loads for whatever.

The 1911 platform seems to be what's being used for such things as .38 Casull, and other semi-wildcat rounds like .45 Super so I reckon it'd likely handle 10mm. What I would do is determine the factory-rated recoil spring and use one a couple of pounds stronger if the gun functioned OK to prevent battering and would likely use a shock buff as well.

If you handload, you might wind up loading something a bit faster than forty, but not as hot as the hotter 10mm loads such that you could do about everything with that one load and not have to worry about harming the pistol as your handload would be something less than a full-house load.

Best, and again, these are just opinions and assumptions as I do not and have never owned a 10mm. Hopefully someone here will be able to more precisely address your questions.

The 10mm is fine in a 1911 as long as it is sprung properly. If you're going to shoot full power 10mm ammo I would suggest you put in a Wolff 24# conventional recoil spring. FBI loads (i.e. 180grain bullet at approx. 950fps) an 18.5# would be okay.

If factory original I replace the nylon guide that comes in the Delta Elites with a steel one or get yourself a one piece full length stainless steel one. The nylon guide with the double recoil spring doesn't hold up like the spring setup I and others use.

The nice thing about the 10mm is the range of power you have in a 1911 platform. At the same time, if you never intend to shoot anything other than .40 power level loads you can get a .40 and the brass/ammo is cheaper...

Just be sure to change recoil springs regularly (I do every 2-3000 rounds). Some like to use a shok-buff also but I don't see that it's necessary if you change springs regularly....Hope this helps

On my Delta Elite there was some slop between the frame and slide. I installed a guide rod, new recoil spring, and buffers from 1911heaven.com This definitely helped. Recoil is a bit strong but not too bad. All in all I enjoy shooting it.

$475 sounds like a great price if the gun is in good shape. The few that I've seen at shows have been $650 and up.

One of the nicest things about the 10mm DE is that it can be converted to .40 S&W with the addition of a Bar-Sto .40 S&W barrel and a recoil spring. You then have a rompin'-stompin' semi-auto that's equal to the .41 Magnum, and a mild mannered mid-size caliber gun that's cheap to shoot.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

I liked my DE. It was accurate and reliable, but being bitten by the capacity bug at the time I traded the DE in. Okay I ended up with a .375 H&H that holds even less rounds, that H&H really makes up in the foot/pounds of energy department! :D

The DE was a nice pistol though and should I be in the market for a single column 1911 and there was a DE for $475, that bad boy would be MINE!

Some 10mm ammo out there is only the FBI spec wimp load (originator of the .40S&W 180 gr loading) and is not near the true potential of the 10mm. Loads like the 10mm Starfire, the Black Talon and Hydra Shok in 10mm are barely moving, I have seen butterflies land on the 10mm Hydra loading! :D

Stick with the Horndady (full load in 180), Georgia Arms, Federal 155 Hi Shok, Pro Load 135/155s, Winchester Silvertip if you aren't going to reload. Some folks are fans of both CorBon and Triton, but I have not achieve the same accuracy with either companies loads as I have with my loadings or Hornady/Federal/Winchester loadings.

Derek

I have the Delta Elite and Delta Gold Cup. The point mentioned previously concerning matching recoil spring to the ammo you use is good advice. My DE and DGC are my favorite handguns to take to the range. $475 is a good price, so if you're interested in 10mm, I'd take it home. If you do get the DE, I'd advise against popping bowling pins with it....rangemasters get very unhappy with the splintered mess you leave behind....Dan in GA

Back