Opinions on colored sights

RHarris

I know it's probably mostly a personal preference issue, but I was wondering what kind of opinions of colored front sight inserts there might be.

I got one of the last Security Six's produced. I never liked that bright orange peice of plastic that they stuck in the front sight, so I burred it out, waxed up a new one & cast it in 18kt gold :cool: Looks really sharp, might even pick up a glint of light in low-light application. Problem is, it's really tough to see in broad daylight, hadta bead blast the top (rounded) edge & blacken it :(

Many experienced gunners know that all of the little colored bars, dots, & gizmos on sights these days don't really do much in the sight alignment department, get a black marker & dob them out. They are a distraction that takes your focus away from the top edge of the front sight, the spot that your bullet is going to impact on your target.

Once gunners get well past 40, most of us have problems seeing the sights. A couple of bottles of Testor's enamel in yellow and white can aid sight acquisition no end.

I'm with Dave. A colored front blade is easier for me to see quickly.

It may depend on how and where you shoot. I have a friend who blacks the front sight on all his pistols. Says it is easier to pick out a black blade on paper at an indoor range. Where he shoots three days a year. The rest of his shooting is outdoors. Go figure.

I usually give the front sight a couple coats of white on the leading edge if it comes factory black.

I have a few bottles of cheap teeny-bopper nail polish I swiped from my daughter many years ago - kind of a neon chartreuse color. It's not very durable, but easily removed when switching shooting modes. A bottle will probably outlast me!

For plinking outside on a sunny day I like colored inserts just fine, but for target shooting I prefer a square black Patridge.

I own a couple Dan Wesson revolvers with the interchangable front blades. I've got white/red/yellow blades, and have tried them all. Colored inserts are sitting in a box and the guns have aftermarket black blades installed.

Good Luck...

Joe

I used to paint the front sight flouresent red, and the rear yellow. Now days I prefer the white dot type. On my S&W's, I remove the red front, put in a black insert, and drill a shallow oval-shaped hole, which I fill with gloss white paint. When sighting, the oval-shaped white insert looks like a round dot. I sometimes put white dots on either side of the rear notch, so I have a true 3-dot system.
On my Python's, I replace the red ramped front with a Colt patridge under cut front. I file the under cut to a slight forward angle, drill and fill with white paint. Gun Parts and Brownells, used to sell 2-dot rear sight blades for Colt, which I have on mine.

Any idea how much a gold front sight usually runs? I've been thinking a lot about various sights recently, especially ones that might be used in low (NOT "no") light...

I paint my front sights with two coats of paint. After degreasing the sight, I paint it with white appliance enamel and bake it under my shop lamp for an hour. Next, I paint it with Brite Site paint and bake it.

For my eyes, Brite Site yellow works the best for low light applications and green gives the best picture during bright daylight.

The yellow was what I used for the National Tactical Invitational this year and it was very helpful for keeping my eye on the front sight when encountering moving targets or surprise encounters.

Dave:
One year and three months & counting, I'll letcha know when I get there ;)

Spectre:
The insert that I cast is triangular, 5mmx6mm & 3mm wide. Cast in solid 18kt, a whopping $8 worth of gold. (Owning my own Dental Crown & Bridge Laboratory kinda helped out on the fabrication expense ;) )

Here's a couple *small* pix (first one's fuzzy- geeze, gotta get wifey to learn me on the macro function of the digicam :( )

http://musicman9.homestead.com/files/GoldFrontSight.jpg
http://musicman9.homestead.com/files/GoldFrontSight3.jpg
http://musicman9.homestead.com/files/GoldFrontSight4.jpg

Back