Opinions on browning A5s

P71pilot

I have a line on a 1955-1956 made browning A5 semi auto 12 gauge with a 18"-20" smooth bore non vented barrel. I can get the shotgun for $350 and don't have a shotgun at all right now.

Are these reliable automatics? Are parts still available? Can they cycle both light loads and slugs? Are there rifled barrels available?

parts can be found at a lot of gun shows and online.

Are they reliable - no, not really - especially with light loads.

Rifled barrels...I doubt it / but I'm not sure.
------------
The technology in the Auto 5's are 60 yrs old ....and shotgun technology has significantly improved over the years. There are way better semi-auto shotguns on the market today ...from Beretta and Browning / or Benelli if you're looking for an inertia gun. But $350 isn't going to get it done ...except on the used market....but look for a used Beretta gas gun and you'll be happier.

Are they reliable - no, not really - especially with light loads.

My experience is that A5s are very reliable. BUT they are NOT gas operated like most modern semiautos. They are recoil operated, and the guns are made to be "set" for certain load levels. This is done by the location and adjustment of certain parts. The gun does not do this on its own. You have to change it for shooting light, or heavy loads.

A gun set up for heavy loads, will be unreliable with light loads, until adjusted for light loads by the shooter.

Get an owner's manual and read about the "friction rings" and how to properly set them for the load level desired.

I did a quick Wikipedia read. Apparently it has been in production from 1902-1999 (with a reintroduction later on). Also has been used by our military up until Vietnam. And it uses friction rings to control recoil/cycling.

It is in very good shape for being made in 1955, and is a Belgian example.

I must have it. Just have to persuade my boss to let me buy it from him

Note, you have the long recoil operated Browning Auto 5, which is what you are looking at, and the newer, inertia operated A5. Totally different actions. They did not reintroduce the original.
Properly set up and maintained, I feel the original Auto 5 is reliable. However, I dislike them because they just do not feel right to me. A buddy loved the originals and now has a new 3-1/2" A5. He can't shoot without the hump and I can't shoot with it. If you must have it get it and see which camp you end up in.

I have one in the back of my safe -- it's been in my family for 56 yrs or so....the one I own, and many I see are temperamental. ..in terms of feeding consistently. ( and it's clean, lubed properly & setup properly...).../ it's not a gun I think I could rely on to perform in the field all day - or even in an all day clays event....

I own several Browning O/U's. ...and I love em...with more than one of them well over 250,000 shells thru them ....I have one gas gun, Browning silver hunter ( solid gun) and a pair of Benelli super sports .....and they are all more reliable than the old auto 5/ and I use all of my semi-autos as training guns for kids & grandkids in my family...and i'm going to buy a couple more Silver Hunter models to put away as presents down the road because in my opinion, they'really better guns than the new auto 5's - let alone the old ones.

So my point is, i'm a big Browning fan.....and I could, and have, relied on one of my Benelli's in tournaments - with no backup gun.....just like I rely on my O/U's.....so I have relied sometimes on a semi- auto.../ I keep the old auto 5 because it was my grandpa's gun ....not for performance...

But auto 5's have their fans -- and if you like it / and it fits you -- for that price give it a try....and I hope it works for you !

I've owned two of the nearly identical Remington Model 11. Both were 20" riot guns.
I owned both, separately for several years of shooting. All I used was buckshot and slug.
They were both from the early 1900's.
Perfect function from both, as you would expect from a John Browning design.
I could rapid fire them so quickly that all five empties would be in the air.

There are some things that give pause, though...like the fragility of the wood forearm. It's common to see splits and cracks in these.

But they are great, historic, war and sporting field proven shotguns. When I would read reviews of this or that modern semiauto shotgun, and read about jams, I would laugh about how JMB somehow got it right so long ago.

As for me, I moved up to a Beretta 1201FP with the Benelli M1S90 inertia bolt.

Last edited:
history

The A5 has been around a long time, an old wood and steel John Browning design. The world's first successful auto shotgun design, and Brownings favorite I believe.

I have read the A5 has a rather colorful history with law enforcement and military groups. You can find old pics of officer and soldiers carrying same. Seems like I read the SAS used them, as well as the Selous Scouts.

Seems like they were favored by many sports as well. Lots of folks in my area have their Dad's or Grandad's A5. REcoil operated, they are not mild guns to shoot, but with full power ammo, most have a good reputation.

Always wanted one, still without.

I have bought the browning. Will bring it home tomorrow and give it a good look over and cleaning. I will print out a manual. I have done research on the friction rings and how to set the shotgun up for light or heavy loads. I think I am going to be one happy dude

A5 Reiability

The Remington Model 11 is the same design as the Browning A5, and in fact used the Browning A5 patent for the authorization for the Model 11's manufacture. I have owned a Remington 11 since 1963, using it during my high school years for my dove, duck, and geese gun. The only cycling problems experienced was when I began shooting clays 3 years ago. As soon as I learned to customize it for lighter loads, there have been no cycling problems, whatsoever.

I have had a Browning A-5 Magnum Twenty since the early 1970's and it has been very reliable when set up correctly. With the Browning slug barrel attached and using Breneke slugs it would produce 2.5" 100 yard groups consistently. That barrel was not rifled. Given the vision issues that have beset my aging eyes I doubt that I could do that good with vision induced sighting errors. The A-5 is a keeper.

Back