Opinions on .32 H&R Magnum

sox

I have just noticed this loading recently. I am kinda interested. What have been your experiences. Can I shoot .32 ACP in these little revolvers safely/reliably? Is the new Taurus 731 any smaller than the the 85 police undercover? Thanks, Dave

The .32 H&R Magnum is a good choice for people who are recoil sensitive, and is a good plinking round in the Ruger Single Six (though expensive for a non-reloader). .32 ACP can be fired in a .32 Magnum chamber (also in .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long chambers), but the rim is too small for good support and can give extraction problems. It is also too thin and there will be excess headspace, but that is seldom a problem in low power ammo.

If a lighter load than the .32 Magnum is desired, both the .32 S&W and the .32 S&W Long can be used (just like the .38 Short Colt, .38 Long Colt, and .38 Special can be fired in a .357 Magnum chamber).

Jim

Jim is 100% correct.

Cor-Bon had a project in development where they took a 60grain JHP and drove it up past 1,300fps as a defensive load in this caliber. Unfortunately, light demand caused the project to be cancelled.

If I were rolling my own, I'd score Gold Dot or other "delayed expansion" JHP that has the jacket bonded to the lead...that way, once I drive 'em way up past .32ACP speed specs there'd be some hope they'd hang together.

There's a small-batch ammo brewer name of Tom Gray, runs "Gray Area Ammo" at http://members.aol.com/WESHOOT2/

You might see if he can roll you some. Dunno how much pressure we'd be talking about, or whether or not it'd be safe in something like a Taurus or Smith 6-shot J-Frame platform. In a Ruger SP101 or the Single Six .32Mag, you could really make this caliber haul butt in a 60grain.

In comparison, Federal's 100grain JHP pulls just about 1,000fps from the Single Six.

The 731 is the same size as the 85. Essentially the same gun, but with 6 rounds of .32 Mag instead of 5 of .38 Special. The .32 Mag is an accurate and flat-shooting cartridge, and the 85gr JHP's mushroomed nicely in our unscientific water-barrel tests. It's no Hammer of Thor, but then, I certainly don't think it performs any worse than most .38 Special.

I shoot a .32 H&R Magnum every week.It is a Model 16 S&W.I love it.I load myself.A 98 gr BNWC with 2.4 gr of W231.
Up to 50yds it is very accurate--I don't know about beyond that.
For me the lack of recoil and lack of noise are pluses.
Otherwise it is just so easy to shoot and do well.
I have fitted a Millet sight and added a combat trigger and Davis BD/L grips.

Back