Opinions on .223 ammo?

rock_jock

I've been looking around the Internet for some package deals on .223 ammo for my new AR-15. The cheapest I've seen is stuff produced in South Africa, but I have heard that this can be corrosive, even though the manufacturers claim it is not. I want something affordable, but would rather pay a little extra for good quality ammo if it will reduce wear and tear on my rifle. Any suggestions?

Also, the owners manual explicitly states that reloaded ammo should not be used. What is the concensus on this? I know that some hanguns, for instance, allow use of reloads (1911) while some do not (e.g., Glock). Is this a judgement call? BTW, I do not reload now, so perhaps the investment in the equipment is not worth it either way.

every AR lightly kisses the primer on chambering a round
If the reload has non military primers then there maybe an AD...
If the primer is set to high then there might be an AD.

its CYA mode from the manufacturers POV

dZ

I have bought a case of the S. African PMP
ammo in .223. It was just fine.

I can highly recommend two places to get your
ammo on line. For new stuff at great prices
see http://www.ammoman.com for reloads see http://www.hawksviewcustomammo.com

I am not affiliated with either, just a
customer. For the new stuff I prefer the
Winchester Q loads (as close to real military
5.56 as you are going to get, if not exactly
the same), or the slightly tamer Fed AE .223.

Good luck.
- DanM

PMP is clean and produces very little muzzle flash. I have used Guatemalan surplus and PMC both of which were pretty bad as far as flash went. PMP seems quite accurate but I have not run any tests.

Check out www.cole-distributing.com

They have IMI ammo at a pretty good price. Brand new SS109 (62 gr.) sells for $160 for 600 rounds delivered or $299 for 1200. They also have the 55 gr. rounds also. The South African manufactured ammo goes for $159 for 990 rounds.

I have shot IMI ammo out of my Mini-14 and AR15. Dam good stuff. The Israeli's take their guns and ammo seriously (when your surrounded on 3 sides by unfriendlies- you have to be!)

I simply can't use the cheapest ammo that I can find in my $800.00 rifle.
Ammoman.com has some good stuff for sale at a really good price. I am a Federal man. I've ordered in quantity from him twice. Both times, 2 or three day's later, my ammo was on my front porch.
I especially like the Federal 50gr. hollow point. Very accurate, (Very!) and I am convinced that this is the ammo that I need for home defense.
My opinion.

Will

------------------
Mendacity is the system we live in.

I've been shooting the South African PMP (commercial ammo in brown box with gazelle on front). I'm happy with it. Relatively low price, brass case, copper (not steel) jacketed bullet, reloadable.

I know there is some South African military ammo that comes in different packaging. I suspect it may not be quite as good (older, at least), but I'm not sure. A buddy bought some and I believe he had a misfire or two (but I'm not sure).

I was considering the Sellier & Bellot that I can order for about the same price, but discovered that the bullets have copper coated steel jackets (a magnet grabs the bullet easily). I figure this has got to be harder on my barrel than copper. I'll probably order more of the PMP.

Doug

Back