Opinions on 1991A1

Blue Duck357

(Sorry, I'm sure this has been covered but search appears to be down again)

Got a chance to buy a new in box 1991A1, recent manufacture for $500. I remember some posting's about the newer 1991's being much better or worse now than the ealier model, and now I can't remeber which it was! I had a earlier model I let slip away and would like to replace it if the quality is the same or better. Should I let this deal pass or jump on it.

Thanks for any replies, Blue Duck

Get it. If you've had one before, then you know the 1911 design. They are much better than the ealier models, which I had one of too. I also have one of the newer ones, they are MUCH nicer compared to the earlier production models from the early '90s. Plus that is a decent price compared to what some of us are seein' lately.

Colt QC went through a bad patch, but the current 1991A1's are definitely better than the earlier ones. The very first were OK, too, but things went down hill for a while.

Jim

L-I-B!!!!

I got a 1991A1 in 91 or 92, soon after they came out. I thought the machining was excellent, no tool marks like on the Norinco clone I already had (veritable gouges.) The only thing I disliked was the plastick straight mainspring housing, which was quickly replaced with a checkered metal arched one...nice gun, I gave it to my dad as a present (it was that passive firing pin thing that gnawed at my purist conscience...)

I'd go with a Springfield, truer to the Browning original, and just as well finished as a Colt...

What is the difference between the 1911s and the 1991s, anyway? Are they just series 80 instead of series 70, with the extra safeties? Or are there other changes?

blue duck

I have 2 1911A1 Colts and they are sweet.
Actually I don't have them anymore since my wife
has claimed them as hers (one with an original Colt .22lr
conversion kit)
They are incredible pistols.....
I favor the HK pistols, but this JMB design is really hard
to beat........
The 1991A1 pistol is a "real 1911"....
Ready for the flames from the 1911 purists...........
Danke...

Thanks for the comments folks! Made the jump today and put a hundred rounds through it this afternoon. They had two Springfield armory's for about the same price and I was thinking about them till I filled out the paperwork. But I guess it's just a name brand thing I wanted a "real" colt and had had good exp with my last one.

The trigger is MUCH better than my early version and the guns seems a lot tighter all around. The finish also seems to be a lot better than my original one too. Accuracy may be a bit better as I remember 4" groups at 25 yards being about the best I could do with the early gun and 2 1/2" (maybe 3" sometimes :D) was more the rule with this one, might just be that I'm a better shot now though. All in all I'm very happy with the purchase.

Ohh.. I also took a serious look at the Glock 23 while in the store, but thats a different thread.

Thanks, Blue Duck

Back