Opinions Needed (New Lipsey's GP100)

Model12Win

Looks like Lipsey has some new GP100 special editions:

RU1768_357_GP100.jpg

This is a 6-shot .357 Magnum GP100 with tapered 5" barrel and walnut target grips. Also has a gold bead front sight. I REALLY love the looks of it, reminds me of an old S&W Model 28 or something, with that tapered barrel and blued steel and walnut. Maybe the classiest Ruger GP100 I have ever seen. I bet it will balance wonderfully compared to my old full-lug 6" stainless GP100, and the 5" barrel still lets the .357 achieve its full potential without being as bulky and long as my 6" gun.

I sold my 6" GP100 about a year ago for being too nose heavy, but have missed it greatly. I've shot the hell out of that gun and the action got sooo smooth and was just a wonderful revolver. I think if they had this variant back then and I'd bought it, I'd have never have sold my GP. Lipsey is also making this model in a 5-shot .44 Special and 7-shot .327 Fed Mag, but I am much more interested in the 6-shot .357 as I love the caliber, it is cheap to feed, and I already have speedloaders and cases for 6-shot .357 GP100s.

So what do you guys think? Should I snag it while it's available?

It is a nice looking gun. I guess if you regret selling the previous one this one might be good replacement. However I'm not sure this one will feel that much lighter/ less nose heavy. I've shot the snot out of my 5" GP100 and don't mind the full under lug barrel when shooting it. It's more of a distraction for looks IMO.

I like the good bear front sight. I had a Patridge style sight made up for my GP100 with the interchangeable sights and think Ruger made missed the boat for never making a factory target sight available.

What do you mean no target sights, What do you consider target sights?

The pic is my old Security Six and my much newer GP100. They have fully adjustable rear sights.

It does look like Ruger is still using the same back sights they used when my Security 6 was made in the 1980s.

Attachments

• Ruger gp100 & Security Six.jpg
    Ruger gp100 & Security Six.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 36
I think anything over 4" with an underlug is silly, unless it's a special purpose firearm (target or hunting, etc) The 5" no-lug barrel is probably one of the best combos evaarrr.

Older S&W's had the 1/2 under lug, Python

From an aesthetic point of view, the 6" Python might be one of the finest looking pistols extant, but I'm talking about practicality. I had a 6.5" S&W 657 with full underlug, while it was a beautiful hunting and target revolver, it was muzzle heavy and not exactly a fast handler. Ditto the stupidest pistol I've ever owned, a S&W 617 .22LR... with a full-underlug 8 3/8" barrel. But a 4" full lug pistol still balances well and the additional weight helps with control. Just my .02 worth...

What do you mean no target sights, What do you consider target sights?

If you will reread Reddogs post you will see he is talking about Patridge front sights with the undercut. Not adjustable rear sights. Ramp front sights are not considered "target" sights. They are ramped to make drawing from a holster easier.

This Lipsey's GP100 will be one I drool over for a long time. I know I will regret not buying one, but it is simply out of the budget for now. I would be happy enough to just find a gold bead front sight for my 4" GP100 to tide me over.

That would be a fine replacement to the one you sold. The 5" barrel should be a perfect balance and the blue looks good and I love the partial underlug, the only weird thing for me is the Dan Wesson looking grips.

I'd be all over that if I hadn't depleted my whole gun budget for the next fiscal year already.

If you want it go for it. It sounds like you've already made up your mind.

Gang, I done went and did it!! Found a good price online with low shipping, TSS Warehouse. With luck, it'll be at my dealers soon!! :D

Look forward to a THOROUGH review and range report very soon. I want to get as much feedback on this model out to you guys as I can. Can't wait!!

Merry Christmas to me! And Merry Christmas to you guys!!

Back