Opinions needed for the Steyr AUG

SB

Hypothetical question. I'm looking for a good overall carbine. Preferred mid-powered cartridge such as the .223. Wanted something that can competently play the entire urban combat field (3 to 300 yards) without having to buy two or three long arms. Thought about the Steyr AUG, and how, depending on the role it's needed, I can just change barrels.

So, anyone have any experience or opinions about the Steyr AUG? What carbine(s) would you prefer for urban combat?

The Aug is a great gun, reliable and easy to take down- since you are going to use the weapon, why don't you just get a post-ban USR, you can find them for like $2,000-$2200 NIB (they still accept the hi cap mags)- it just doesn't have a flash hider and they added a loop to make the grip a thumbhole setup (plus the barrel is better on the USR)- a pre-ban Aug is going to vary in price from $2,700-$4000 (Condition, Green or Black Stock). Good luck.

Suggest you do a search on Edmund Rowe for his idea on the ideal rifle. It's dug deep in the archives of the Rifle Forum. You might find it amusing.

As for myself, I'll take the AR. Barrel changing isn't that hard. Also, magazines are much more affordable and parts are easier to come by. Didn't Rommel say something along the lines of, 'Before the first shot is fired, the quartermaster determines who the victor shall be?'

I wonder if bullpups are easier to hold steady than regular rifles (more weight next to you)? Anyone using them care to chime in on this?

The AUG is a very nice rifle.. Only got a chance to play with one once. Balances so well that it can be fired with one hand. But for an overal rifle, I'll stick with my Bushmaster carbine. The reasons are 1) cost.. the AUG is $2300 to $2500 for a post ban model and $2500 and up for a pre-ban, vs $750 to $1200 for an AR variant. 2) parts availability, there are many companies who can provide parts fro the AR rifles. 3) easily maintained, The AR is a very easy rifle to maintain (I built my rifle from a kit and it came out really nice for a first try). 4)Magazines(hi-cap)for the AR can be found in abundance. 5) And if you wanted to change calibers, say to 7.62X39 or .300 whisper, you just change the upper end of the rifle and buy a few magazines (7.62X39).

I have trained students with this rifle and have fired it thousands of times. It is not my weapon of choice. Any thing that has chamber pressures around 50,000 lbs next to my face is not my cup of tea.

I have only seen it "go" twice but it wasn't nice. Disassemb/Assemb can be a bugger if you don't know how the gun operates.

DON'T LIKE BULL PUPShjn

With lots of ammo downrange, both semi and full auto, both left handed and right handed, I prefer my shorty AR.

The Aug is a good gun, but in my last course at Gunsite, the only Aug in the class puked several times. In the class I attended in 91, several Augs in attendance, and several problems. Most seemed to be ammo related.

My Aug was reliable with quality ammo. I sometimes like to switch shoulders -- and you cannot do that with an AUG. I'll take the AR. -- 1600 rounds at Gunsite -- one failure -- when I failed to seat the magazine. GLV

The AUG is a fun to shoot gun, but you loose the doughnut shaped reticle in low light. I personally would grab an AR any day over the AUG. Parts are cheaper, mags are everywhere and still reasonable in price. And you can simply change uppers to go from a Shorty 16inch barrel to a 20-24inch heavy barrel for distance shooting and still be cheaper than the cost of one AUG.

So from what I gather, the verdict is, "Good gun, but not good enough. And way too expensive." for all you rifle connoisseurs eh? Okay, scratch the AUG.

I owned a AUG in the early 90's, sold during the dark days of the ban in fear of being unable to resale it. (oh what a mistake)
Any how at the time I owned a Colt CAR-15, Norinco side-fold AK, Galil, Daewoo, and the aforementioned AUG.
Personally I considered the AUG head and shoulders above the rest, no really and here's why;
Never ever failed to fire or eject
Tack driver even in low light
Easy to take down and transport(pop the barrel)
The easiest to clean of the above (CAR worst)
Compact but shot very natural
I could shoot it as a 16" and in couple of minutes shoot HBAR 24" (not realistic now with prices, but I talking from my use)
Magazines won't dent, chip, break, deform, ect (they cost $15 then so I did the supposed test and drove over one on pavement then used it for the rest of the day and it was no worse for wear. WOW)
I concede that now they are spendy, but if I had to pick one rifle for multi purpose CAR-Sniper this is it.
Currently I have a green AUG 16", SLR95, and a calico 9mm. And I shoot them all.

Just The Way I See It

Hope this helps!

Some of the early AUGs had problems similiar to the early M-16s. Allways wanted to own one. I have shot a friend's AUG. Comfortable and very ergonomic. Functioning was flawless and the circle 1.5x optical sight made getting on to target very quick.

To be honest, either one is a good choice. If I had to pick, I would trade my AR for a AUG!

4V50 Gary: my post on ideal rifle is over on gunforums.com, not this group if I remember correctly.

My opinions on AUG:

From what an esteemed instructor told me, they point, shoot, and HIT very quickly and naturally. I'd NEVER sneer at looking down the business end of one. He also had a later model USR and didn't have any malfunctions that I recall.

BUT, Things you have to look out for while using one:
-Don't fold the vertical foregrip and use as a horizontal rest. The best you can hope for is burning your fingers on the naked barrel. The worst: One LEO did this in training and caught the gas port blast on his finger. Got gangrene and had to be amputated.
-Similiarly, gas port blast makes certain shooting positions or shooting around obstacles an exercise in WHAM!! I'd better be wearing my eye AND ear protection. Gas blast in your eyes can cause injury.
-Because of the position of the mag, tac reloads are almost impossible. Mag changes are either 1) Very slow or 2) speed reload. Dumping expensive AUG mags on the ground...well, if you can afford an AUG I guess you can afford to drop the mags on the ground! :D

I'd get an AR first. But if you have plenty of $$$ and don't know what to spend it on...

Edmund

4VGary50:

I think the thread you are talking about is
"My Favorite RBD long arm" here on The Firing Line.

I still laugh myself when I reread it
"Did I really say that?"

Edmund

Back