Opinions and information, please...

Powderman

Well, I'm back from Camp Perry. I went to shoot in the Nationals--and I am VERY upset, to say the least.

My scores exactly reflected my levels of preparedness--with all the OT I had to pull from August to April, it was kinda low, as you might expect.

Thus, I got mad--and now, I'm seriously out to kick some butt. I fully intend to win my class--at the very least--the next time I go. I also will make the President's Hundred--and hopefully will be DX , or DM before I go.

So, here's the question...

Anyone with experience with the Hammerli 280 pistol? Thoughts? Impressions? I handled one for the first time, and was very impressed with its feel--it seemed to weld itself into an optimum position, and the sight picture was rock steady and clean. The trigger pull was silky-smooth. I'm on the brink of getting one at a REALLY good price.

Not being a bullseye target shooter, the only thing I know about the P280 is that it is not made any more, replaced by the SP20 about 1998. I have READ that it was not profitable even at Hammerli prices because of the cost of custom carbon fibre composite construction.

Are parts available? Will it shoot a lifetime and not need any? I don't know, but you should.

We've got a local guy here in Elkhart Indiana that shoots 290's with his 280, but this guy's a machine. I think he'd shoot 290's with anything!!!
He loves the gun and claims he shoots better with it, if I remember correctly, his scores actually did improve when he got his 280.
Good luck with whatever you do!!!!!

"My scores exactly reflected my levels of preparedness-"

I'm not sure how you prepare for 30mph gusts of wind, other than having someone randomly push your arm off-target right before the targets turn :)

Never shot a Hammerli, but you sure see plenty of them on the line. Don't think you can go wrong with one, especially if it fit your hand as well as you describe.

The p280 that I fired years ago was nice, shot well but didn't fit my hand.
The hot tickets now are FWB AW93 [resembles the 208 Hammerli]
Morini CM22M
Pardini SP
They're all pricey but they can shoot.

Last edited:
Back